Airport strobe lights

Honus

Hi,

I'm looking for the sequential strobes that are found at some airports (KMIA, for instance). They are on a very tall staff and are either white or red and they flash sequentially from bottom to top. I've found various airport lighting files but not these and I used to see them on FS2004. they are very tall, maybe 100ft or so. Would anyone know what I'm referring to? Thanks

If you're talking about the "rabbit," an approach lighting system that leads you in to the runway, the height will vary, depending on terrain, to keep the lights at the same level, but not usually 100 feet high unless terrain dictates. They're the only airport lights I can think of that are "sequential strobes," but I've never seen them red. Here is a Wikipedia article on ALS, or Approach Lighting Systems.

The only strobes I can think of that may be either red or white would be obstruction clearance strobes on towers or other things that stick up very high near an airport. Otherwise, perhaps you could give a bit more clue to where they're found, or other details.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

thanks for your reply. I know about the runway strobes and am good with all those. No, the one's I'm referring to can be found in real life around Miami International. From the west, towards the Everglades, they are very high lighting poles with white sequential strobes going from bottom to top. To the northwest of Miami, they are similar but the lights are red and the blink of an on but not sequentially and they are also very high. I'm guessing at the height but they are quite noticeable from a long distance. There are similar lights at London Heathrow from the west.

I'm not familiar with the structures you're talking about. I went into Google Earth, street view, on the west side of Miami Int'l and while I found the "rabbit," street lights, cranes and radio towers, I found nothing like what you describe. Guess I'll have to give up -- perhaps someone knows that area. Sorry.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived