FS2004 on a Macbook Pro

epmcinty

Hello everyone,

I am sorry to post something I know has been asked probably various times, but I haven't found anything with my specific specs and also just want to make sure I am doing the right thing with a big process like this. So I used to be an avid flight simmer in high school with a tower that ran fs9 with all the scenery and expansions to max settings on vatsim with other add ons (not that impressive but kept me satisfied). Then private pilot training/junior & senior year happened, and I am now a college student who has been out of flight simming for a few years and all I have is a Macbook pro with these specs:

MacbookPro

13-inch, Mid 2012

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Software: OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

So... I know I need to use bootleg to get windows on my macbook is first step. My question is, which operating system version in particular do you think will work/run fs9 the best on a mac? I was thinking Windows 7 from stuff I read. In addition, what other updates and additional downloads will I need to make sure it runs with no errors. I read a few threads where windows wasn't working as instant as some people wanted and they had to jump through various hoops. Also out of curiosity, how do you think it will run? It's going to be a long, yet interesting journey getting back in the virtual cockpit and finding the best expansions to get for modern day 2014 lol.

I really appreciate your time, thanks everyone for your knowledgable input!

-Eamonn

Hi Eamonn,

Welcome to FlightSim.com:D

The boot manager which comes with OSX is called Bootcamp:

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/bootcamp/

It used to be the case that you could install a variety of Windows operating systems on your mac using Bootcamp, but starting with 5 (which is what your system will have), the selection has somewhat narrowed.

The above link will explain which versions are available (read carefully).

I use a late 2013 iMac, 3.9GHz/16Gb and use Windows 7 64bit (shudders, LOL) for all my FSX and P3D needs and personally I'd say that the same OS will do just fine for FS9.

I'd stay away from Windows 8 if it's just for FS9 as quite a few users have had difficulty with it.

Hope that helps.

Happy flying!!

Dom

Hi Eamonn,

I use a late 2013 iMac, 3.9GHz/16Gb and use Windows 7 64bit (shudders, LOL) for all my FSX and P3D needs and personally I'd say that the same OS will do just fine for FS9.

Dom

Thanks for the welcome Dom, I appreciate it! LOL, I know... I have been getting the shudders all day realizing I have to do this all on my macbook. So you recommend 64bit windows 7? You truly think that will run it the best? I was curious if XP or Vista (an older OS) would run it faster? Thanks again for your knowledgable input.

-Eamonn

Hi Eamonn,

You know, when you had the option of running XP on Boot Camp it was fantastic, as you had a pretty stable (and good for older games) OS.

Since the release of Boot Camp 5 however, you're unable to install XP, so the best out of a bad bunch (so to speak) is Windows 7.

This is from:

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201456

Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?

Boot Camp 5.1 supports 64-bit, non-Enterprise versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1. This version of Boot Camp doesn't support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or any 32-bit version of Windows. Depending on your Mac, you may be able to use an earlier version of Boot Camp to work with other versions of Windows.

I purchased an OEM version of Windows 64bit from Amazon and it worked out pretty cheap.

Not as cheap as OSX mind you:p

Cheers

Dom

Archived