Huge performance boost after Win10 update!

alexzar14

I tried to avoid it but it upgraded itself without asking me for permission. My worries ended soon after I tried PMDG over NYC with road and UT traffic, I am getting 25 (locked) where it used to be 16.

I searched online for Win10 update effect on P3D and found Vic's post (every time I do a search I find Vic's comments on any matter there is ;) ) and he says windows 10 alone doesn't do zilch for P3D performance gain, it simply cleans up the hazarai from the old Windows installation.

I had Win 7 installed on a new drive less than a year ago, what could clog it so fast? I don't websurf and I don't download and play games, and I have Samsung SSD which doesn't need defragmentation.

And question 2: how do I clean the hazarai myself? I will pay for a cleaning software if there is one! Can't update Windows every month I guess, but apparently the cr*p is accumulating and needs to be drained... and I urgently need to know how. (This million-dollar worth info must be posted in big bold red font and pinned on top of every flightsim forum on the net! ))))))))

I use CCleaner. This current installation of Windows 7 is over 5 years old and still runs as smooth as silk with proper maintenance and housekeeping.

Of course, it's important to also keep your programs, startups etc tidy and resolve any issues immediately once they arise.

http://www.vafinancials.com/v5/plugins/vafs_status.php?cs=svag9499&c=0

LOL! ALex are you saying I talk too much?? And "hazarai"? - That's an expression I haven't heard in years.

As far as #2 - the only SURE way of cleaning it all is to uninstall, fdormat, reinstall OS and add-ons - and start the building process all over. Various tools like CCleaner help but there's no one tool that does it all.

But run disk cleanup every now and then to get rid od the garbage that remains after a ctd, etc.

When I build a new system, right after installing and updating the OS - I do a full image backup.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Thanks Vic, and I didn't mean that at all! ))) thanks to people like you I have an idea about how things work in the sim.

I will get the CC cleaner, however I too believe there is more stuff accumulating in the structure/system folders than any cleaning program can deal with. I've also read somewhere that Windows updates leave a lot of garbage files in your PC, not sure if it effect's PC's performance or not.

Wow the difference however is "atomic"!! And since performance drop is a gradual process, I started to believe that my computer and my sims were always this way from the start, and that 4790k is an insufficient CPU.

Unfortunately, Vic's right. I've been at this "computer stuff" since what seems like forever and there just is no way to keep Windows from gradually destroying itself except a complete reinstall every now and then. It's just one of life's realities......

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Absolutely right.

My Win 7 64 installation is viciously managed by yours truly, yet the normal 13 second boot up time is now at a minute and fifteen seconds, and climbing.

I use CCleaner, elements of Advanced System Care 9, purges of the driver store, deliberate deinstallation of unused programs, a weekly system file review of all crap thrown there by Windows updates, double checking the veracity of Updates for my system, and a core file backup every few days...

And STILL I have to reinstall every 12 mths or so. Next one when p3dv3.3 is released (currently in late beta).

No substitute for a full clean installation as who knows what updates of updates have latterly been superceded by later updates that leave the earlier updates but render them irrelevant?

For the same reasons a keen simmer will also reinstall the simulator every so often to remove all the build-up of unused software. I do that with my FTX sceneries, as I tend to focus on a particular flying area for a season, so my 100 gigs+ of Aus and NZ scenery can be removed when I'm flying elsewhere - that alone makes a massive difference to startup times even after disabling through scenery.cfg and a specific setup to exclude those files from loading.

As Doug and Vic say, there is no substitute for a clean installation of EVERYTHING, every so often.

What some don't realize, is if you do a clean install of any OS, your performance will increase.

ROFL! When W10 was first released, I had a discussion with NickN about exactly that and how quickly someone would post that w10 was the new Holy Grail.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

ROFL! When W10 was first released, I had a discussion with NickN about exactly that and how quickly someone would post that w10 was the new Holy Grail.

Vic

Well Put! Though it is a huge pain, a clean install of any OS I've tried cures a ton of issues you might not have even been aware of.;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

It takes a real long time to reinstall the required add ons, specially when using 2 sims (XPlane uses a gigaton of necessary library packs). FSX/P3D airports need additional tweaking to work with FTX Orbx.... I mean, it's a pain to build a sim unless you are a retired grandpa )))) On the other hand, as soon as Kaby lake is on sale I'll have to reinstall.

Today I ran into a new problem: all of a sudden the textures stopped loading and the world was blurry even directly below me. No Fiber Frame Factor setting would make a difference, even a value of 1 million. I searched and found that AF14 causes these issues (wonder why it didn't cause it before) and the entry needs to be deleted. Deleted it, now it seems to be ok again. Never I fly with no problems for more than few months, something always have to come up and give me hard days.

Another thing is, I tried generating a new .CFG, but it caused horrible fps so I went to old one. Don't even want to go into this )))))))))))) I'm ok as long I can fly and the sim looks ok.

• 3 weeks later...

I fully recognize this is an old discussion, but I couldn't help but notice it in the list, since it is exactly the opposite of what I experienced.

[snip...]

EDIT 23Jul2016: Problem fixed. I knew time to upgrade to Win10 free was running out, so I decided to try it again to get Win10 installed. I knew many other people were running P3D and add-ons successfully under Win10, so I knew it could be done.

I installed the upgrade, and Win10 immediately broke AS16's communication ability - it just told me I "had no internet connection", when my connection to the internet worked fine in my browsers. I started looking at all the connectivity settings in Win10, and eventually discovered that Win10 had voluntarily enabled a "Proxy connection", which was uncalled for, and inappropriate. I disabled the bogus "proxy connection", and voila', AS16 worked fine then. What a goat-rope. Microsoft has truly outdone itself in its herculean efforts to protect us from ourselves.

At any rate, my sim setup now works as intended, finally. I see no difference in performance between Win7 64-bit and Win10 64-bit.

To the General Readership,

Everything FS related will install the same way under Win 7 and Win 10. I know this as fact because I have installed under both OS as fresh installs and as Upgrade installs. And to think that ASN needs extra steps, or to install in three places ,or that you need any sort of web workarounds, I call b.s.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Yup, what Jim said.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived