Keyboard shortcut for AP Airspeed?

ONeill377

I am configuring my controls (using the excellent Rodger Dodger guides) but I can't find how to select the AutoPilot Airspeed bug. It's really irritating that I can select and adjust practically everything else on the A/P, except the airspeed!

I can see that FSUIPC shows airspeed set as 66095(?), but I can't find where FSX-SE has the keyboard control assignments - it isn't part of FSX-SE.cfg

I would be grateful for any guidance.

CONTROL + SHIFT + R

(search and ye shall find....)

File location would still be useful though....

Interesting....I have CTRL+R for AP speed hold and Shift+R for AT arm

So Control+Shift+R will adjust the speed?

Along side of your FSX-SE.cfg is there a folder called Controls? Should be in there.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I found I din't have that in keyboard assignments. Easy to add though.

Find an assignment that is not in use. To do this, select an unassigned function and try some key combinations. If ou type one that is in use, fsx will tell you, so press the 'clear' buton. keep trying untill you find one that is not in use.

I found "control+Shift+M" was free.

Make a backup of your controls.xml file.

Then open controls.xml

Add between the other assignments (in the top part of the list somewhere):

CTRL+SHIFT+M
AIRSPEED_BUG_SELECT

(replace CTRL+SHIFT+M by your own assignment)

Weird side effect:

If in the control assignments menu you now select a random unassigned function and press to assign

"control+shift+M" you will see:

assignment is available!!

So do not accidentally assign it to someting else. Remember Control shif M is now assigned.

This also means that to change the assignment for the speed bug later you will first need to find a free key combo for speed bug and then change it directly in the controls.xml file again.

It works fine. Control shift M selects the Airspeed Bug, and then = increases it, and - decreases it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guys - a combination of these replies will get me running properly.

I'll edit the controls file to add F5 to complete CNTRL+Shift+R function, cos the F keys are neatest way to emulate the AP functions.

I run 3 key boards at the moment and so far, I've enough keys for the 737 (at least, as far as I need to go with simulating actions).

The easy way to do it is to use 'Ctrl+R' : the default 'Airspeed Hold' ON/OFF (TOGGLE) assignment. You are actually controlling your throttle (ie: 'AT') to attain/hold speed.

So, to change speed, press 'Ctrl+R' to turn AT OFF, add/remove power (throttle) to attain your desired airspeed and then press 'Ctrl+R' again for AT ON (HOLD). (Use my head).

You now have one assignment, no xml edits, and with whatever throttle control (keys) you use, it is as simple as 'On (Hold), OFF (Change Speed), On (Hold)' type operation. KISS.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

What I am trying to achieve is that utopia - no keyboard or mouse in flight!

I have deleted all the standard keyboard assignments and have separate keyboard with custom keys - new legends on photo-paper, stuck onto keys with Pritt Stick (other glues are available). XML editing process gives me the opportunity to make whatever key assignments I want (and tidy them into QWERTY order - OCD or what?)

Now I have a keyboard that has the full autopilot, just under my displays. I can select the A/P function I want to adjust and incr/decr via the yoke up/down. I also have the Saitek throttle set for airbrake/throttle/flaps. Missing a good gear up/down solution, but that's a step too far for now. Of course, I could just have bought a hardware autopilot...

(Apologies for deviating into cockpit building)

Wow! 'Utopia'? I was wondering if you could just throw out all the 'gear' and just dive to increase speed and do a steep climb to slow down (hehe).

I appreciate that you are making a 'personal' system (re-inventing the wheel?) so the controls ARE vital and very much part of the 'picture' (thread topic). Obviously MS did not imagine anyone wanting to do what you are doing so you are on your own. Good luck. Pics?

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

What I am trying to achieve is that utopia - no keyboard or mouse in flight!

I have deleted all the standard keyboard assignments and have separate keyboard with custom keys - new legends on photo-paper, stuck onto keys with Pritt Stick (other glues are available). XML editing process gives me the opportunity to make whatever key assignments I want (and tidy them into QWERTY order - OCD or what?)

Now I have a keyboard that has the full autopilot, just under my displays. I can select the A/P function I want to adjust and incr/decr via the yoke up/down. I also have the Saitek throttle set for airbrake/throttle/flaps. Missing a good gear up/down solution, but that's a step too far for now. Of course, I could just have bought a hardware autopilot...

(Apologies for deviating into cockpit building)

Got a yoke Yoke? I have flaps, gear, etc. and a bunch else on my yoke assembly. It has over 20 buttons alone. I also have engine shutdown, auto spoiler arm, etc. on the throttle assembly. As for AP HDG,NAV, APR, etc. I use a multi-switch panel. Just pick your priorities, you can do all you mentioned with just the throttle and yoke.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived