Lake ice question

silverheels2

Hello all:

I have a question on ice on lakes. Lately I have been flying around in the northern US and New England. And I notice that the lakes are not frozen. Should I be seeing ice in FSX? I am running UTX and GEX. I know I can create ice using UTX but unfortunately if I do that it creates ice everywhere, so if I fly from NE to Florida, I will see ice all the way to Miami. :) So what should I be thinking about straight FSX? I have all sliders pretty well maxed so I doubt I'm missing it there.

Thanks for your help.

Update: I did Google this and sure enough others had reported this but the threads were 5-6 years old. Maybe newer thinking?

Thanks

For the record this is the thread you mentioned, I can't find any newer threads but it might give you some clues that are still relevant.

It sounds a bit too techy for me, apparently you have to do some file tweaking and juggling to make lakes look frozen white-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?207234-Water-to-Ice-in-the-winter

PS- and even then I'm not sure if you can land on them

Orbx/FTX Vector has an option for frozen surfaces (in winter only).

It's only applied where it should be, and you can land on it.

+1. I love landing with skis on! But without ORBX I don't know how to solve this issue. Perhaps another software has the option but I haven't seen it.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

There is a payware Addon but only for Switzerland http://www.design4fs.ch.

I love it too landing with skis!

Great film clip! I really enjoyed the black & white RW clip too. That guy looks like might be Buster Crabbe. Boy I bet it's cold flying in and out of glacier fields in a short sleeve shirt! :rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived