Down the rabbit hole

turbofire

I I have been gone awhile and decided to begin messing with flight sim again. I feel as though I have tripped and fallen head first down the rabbit hole. I am able to take off and land, but some of my air craft to not seem to have any power (Grumman Hu-16 Albatross). I have forgotten what to adjust in the aircraft.cfg to increase engine power. As it is, it barely gets up to 40 knots by the time I reach the end of the runway when trying to take off. I know there must be a quick answer somewhere, I just cannot find it. Could be my age. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] TurboFIRE

"No accidents in one year"

First of all make a backup copy of your aircraft.cfg. I downloaded an FS2004 HU-16 and looked into what can be changed in the aircraft.cfg.

[GeneralEngineData]
engine_type=0
Engine.0=4.000, -10.000, 1.000
Engine.1=4.000, 10.000, 1.000
fuel_flow_scalar=0.90000[color="#FF0000"]Maybe change to 1.000[/color]
min_throttle_limit=-0.250000

[piston_engine]
power_scalar=1.00000[color="#FF0000"]Maybe increase this slightly[/color]
cylinder_displacement=300.00000
compression_ratio=8.00000
number_of_cylinders=9
max_rated_rpm=2800.00000
max_rated_hp=1525.00000[color="#FF0000"]increase horsepower slightly[/color]
fuel_metering_type=1
cooling_type=0
normalized_starter_torque=0.03359
turbocharged=1
max_design_mp=54.50000
min_design_mp=0.00000
critical_altitude=21500.00000
emergency_boost_type=3
emergency_boost_mp_offset=0.00000
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.00000
fuel_air_auto_mixture=0
auto_ignition=0
max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.00000
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.00000
max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.00000
idle_rpm_friction_scalar=1.00000
emergency_boost_duration=0.00000

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=1.00000[color="#FF0000"]slight increase here[/color]
propeller_type=0
propeller_diameter=11.00000
propeller_blades=3
propeller_moi=42.27484
beta_max=45.00000
beta_min=5.00000
min_gov_rpm=700.00000
prop_tc=0.10000
gear_reduction_ratio=1.00000
fixed_pitch_beta=0.00000
low_speed_theory_limit=80.00000
prop_sync_available=1
prop_deice_available=1
prop_feathering_available=1
prop_auto_feathering_available=0
min_rpm_for_feather=700.00000
beta_feather=82.50000
power_absorbed_cf=0.90000
defeathering_accumulators_available=0

prop_reverse_available=1

This might give you, at least, a starting point.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

(Grumman Hu-16 Albatross) ......it barely gets up to 40 knots by the time I reach the end of the runway when trying to take off.

That's definitely not right. Never saw that problem with the aircraft. Did you remember to pull up the anchor before taxiing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could you be starting at a higher altitude than 3000' MSL, and your mixture is not adjusted for the altitude? On the older planes especially, it can make a HUGE difference in power available. Or did you save a flight and are therefore starting with the mixture or prop settings (if they exist) are way off? Do you make sure hte prop and mixture are full forward (high speed on the prop and full rich on the mixture)?

I am just trying to think of a way to avoid messing with plane configurations that you will regret later.

Kust a couple of suggestions.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks everyone who responded. The airport is at about 300 ft altitude. Thanks to Mr. Zippy the problem has been dealt with. The current scenario is that I flew a K-ship from San Diego to New York. Now I am planning on flying the Grumman Albatross back to San Diego. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] TurboFIRE

"No accidents in one year"

Thanks everyone who responded. The airport is at about 300 ft altitude. Thanks to Mr. Zippy the problem has been dealt with. The current scenario is that I flew a K-ship from San Diego to New York. Now I am planning on flying the Grumman Albatross back to San Diego. ;)

Glad to hear it worked out for you.:) Strange that it was so under-powered. Is this a default HU-16 or addon aircraft? The one I tried from the Library here had so much get up and go, that it got up and went!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Personally if I have a problem with aircraft, I never mess with config files or anything else except as an absolute last resort, because I can usually solve it by adjusting the in-game aircraft realism settings or thinking through my flying technique etc.

For example if your Albatross could only get up to 40 kts maybe your throttle calibration was skewed or something, as I'm sure the modeller wouldn't have released it if it couldn't fly..;)

Hey... are we talking about Michael Verlin & Greg Pepper's Albatross here?

Just curious what the fix was...

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Archived