About This File
FS2004 Wibault 283T. The PenhoÃ«t Wibault 280-T prototype flew for the first time at Villacoublay in November 1930. Its development was financed by the PenhoÃ«t shipyards of St Nazaire. It was an all-metal low-wing cantilever monoplane powered by three 300 hp (224 kW) Hispano-Wright 9Qa radial engines, but these were soon replaced by three Gnome-RhÃ´ne 7Kb and the aircraft was renamed Wibault 281-T. A second aircraft was built to the 281 standard, but it was later converted to the Wibault 282-T with three 350 hp (261 kW) Gnome-RhÃ´ne 7Kd engines and room for 12 passengers, seven more aircraft were built as 282s. Some of these 282s were operated by Air Union on the Paris-London Voile d'Or service in 1933. In 1934, Air France took delivery of the first of ten Wibault 283-Ts, which had an increased fuel capacity and modified tail. Some of the 282s were converted to the 283 standard. Some of the commercial aircraft were later taken over as military transports. By Denis Fouchard.