Thread: Why aren't there any shadows?

dresoccer4 Guest

Default Why aren't there any shadows?

I have tried all various combinations of the graphics settings but there are still no shawows in the game of the planes or buildings or anything? How do I get this to work?

texerrn Guest

Default RE: Why aren't there any shadows?

Turn off or on shadows, reflections in options under display section. They work

dresoccer4 Guest

I have turned shadows and reflections on and it still doesn't work.

texerrn Guest

You found the check box alright? OK. Well, what are your hardware specs? Card , memory etc.? The shawdows are most definetly on my system. Even the instructions refer to using shadows to help with low level attacks. Although you do take a hit using them. I turned them off because it seemed to be just the item that slowed my old system down with all the fireworks. I decided they were not that important to me.

dresoccer4 Guest

I have a

AMD Athalon 800mhz
    384ram
    25gigs
    GeForce 3 Ti200 64meg

This more than meets the requirments but it still doesn't work.

6. Default RE: Why aren't there any shadows?

Good question,i have the same problem,(my specs:1.6GhzP4,768MB SDRAM,Gf3ti200 64MB,40GB HD,SB Live),settings are 2-3 and yes, shadow box is checked (1024x768x16bit).Who stole the shadows?

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...c312356154.jpg

7. Default RE: Why aren't there any shadows?

Maybe even with shadow box ticked, you still need to chose a higher level for "effects quality". Just guessing from looking in cfs3configdatabase.txt at the 5 "effects quality" settings, at lowest level there is 0 budget for object shadows.

I've been told that the DX paragraphs in there are establishing the max values, e.g. all DX6 level vid cards will only give max effects quality =1, even if level 5 is chosen in the menu.

I've read around here that altering the .txt config files in the game folder do make changes. But for .xml files, the game folder files are just dummies, the working ones have identical names and are installed in c:\windows\...

I have only tried a little manual editing, altering the TD and HUD in an .xml file in c:\windows... You can put a different plane's panel gauges into the HUD, etc.

http://pweb.jps.net/~wasatch/_uimages/cessna.gif

dresoccer4 Guest

Thanks a lot BillKing20. I turned up the effects tab more and the shadows appeared!

-Dan the Man