Thread: FSX Will not start, please help

Default FSX Will not start, please help

Hello,

I posted this message last week in the FSX forum but go no replies. The problem has persisted and changed. I'm really hoping somebody here can help me. The original post follows:

"I'm having an issue opening FSX. I recently installed a new graphics card (ATI Radeon X1600 Pro) as well as a new 1GB stick of RAM for a total of 1.5GB. I installed the card first (because it showed up in the mail first) and it worked fine. Then I installed the RAM and the computer works fine, it shows up in the System Properties as 1.50 GB RAM, but when I start FSX I get an error that says:

The instruction at "0x206bbbc0" referenced memory at "0xfcf345f5". The memory could not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program.

I tried reinstalling FSX and the same thing came up.

Any ideas about the problem/remedy?"

Before this problem happened I was getting an error message that some program files could not load, reinstall flight simulator and try again. I reinstalled FSX and got the memory reference error above.

I tried to take steps backwards so I cleaned off and reseated the RAM. Now I got the "program files could not load" message. Then I took the new RAM out because the last time FSX worked was with the new video card in and the original amount of RAM (before the upgrade). With this I get the same "program files could not be loaded" message. I'm at a bit of a loss because the hardware currently is in a configuration that has worked previously but will not work now. I'm not a computer genius or anything, but the RAM I bought is 1GB PC3200. The other RAM I have is 2x512MB PC2700. Can this difference (PC3200 vs. Pc2700) have an effect?

Does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong and how to fix it?

If I'm not being clear enough please let me know and I will try again to be clearer. I'm somewhat desperate (although not EXTREMELY desperate considering its a computer game) because I've spent too much money to not be able to even open the program. At this point I'm envious of you folks who's computers are too slow (not that mine is any different) and are getting 0.8fps since the program will at least open on your computers. I just want the thing to start.

Thanks!

Default RE: FSX Will not start, please help

Open C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX and rename fsx.cfg to fsx.OLD. Restart FSX and see if you have the same problems.

If so, try uninstalling FSX, once again, then reinstall. Try again to start FSX.

If you bought a 1Gb stick and you already have two 512MB sticks, your total RAM should equal 2Gb not 1.5Gb, unless you removed one of the 512Mb sticks. The memory location error would indicated something wrong with reading/writing to its location.

When you say, "program files will not load", do you mean FSX or basic Windows startup? What do you mean you cleaned off the RAM and reseated? Hopefully, you didn't spray any type cleaner on the RAM or its contacts and rubbed the sticks with any type of rag. If so, and your computer doesn't boot then I suspect you damaged the RAM.

W. Sieffert

Finally a reply! Thanks!

In the original message I made a mistake, its 2 256mb sticks for a total of 512.

The message I get when I try and start FS is something to the gist of "Some program files could not load, FSX will now close, reinstall FS and try again." I can't tell the exact message because its completely uninstalled from my system at this point. When I took out the RAM and "cleaned" it I meant that I made sure there was no dust on the contacts or in the socket itself by blowing it with a can of air. I was also careful to make sure none of the liquid inside the can came out and onto the stick at all, but I didn't touch the contacts with anything. The puzzling thing to me is that the computer works perfectly fine with it in, its just flight sim that stopped working.

Right now there is nothing related to FS that I can find on my system. I uninstalled, then deleted the folders, I deleted the fsx.cfg and the folder it was in, everything. I'm not too worried about deleting fsx.cfg because I had not done a lot of tweaking of anything when it started to mess us, so I figured a completely clean slate might be the best course of action. I'm going to try and reinstall tonight I think. I'll post whether it works or not.

Thanks again,

Todd

Alright,

I just reinstalled FSX and get the error message "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation." Since this is the third time I've reinstalled I don't think thats the remedy.

Here's exactly what I have:

Windows XP
    AMD Athlon XP2700+ (2.2 GHz)
    1.5 GB RAM (upgraded from 512MB)
    ATI Radeon 1600 Pro (512MB AGP) (upgraded from NVIDIA 128MB)
    400W Power supply (is this enough?)
    2 hard drives (Windows installed on C:, FSX installed on D: simply because C: isn't big enough to have both on it. I don't know if this makes a difference. It hasn't in the past.

The story...

FSX installed fine on the original system (see above) but had terrible frame rates. I ordered the new video card and RAM. The video card came first so I put it in, installed its software, and everything worked fine (frame rates were better). The next day the RAM arrived so I put it in and got the message above. I reinstalled FSX and then got a message that said...

"The instruction at "0x206bbbc0" referenced memory at "0xfcf345f5". The memory could not be read."

So I thought to myself something was wrong with the memory, even though the computer was running fine and the system properties said 1.5GB of RAM. I took out the ram and got the first message up top(program files message). This time I reinstalled FS again with the RAM out and got the same message. I uninstalled it again and this time deleted every folder/file I could find on my computer that had to do with FS to try and start with a clean slate. I defragmented both hard drives before reinstalling. I put the RAM back in (because I don't have a real reason to think that there's something wrong with it) and reinstalled the game only to be greeted with the same message.

At this point I can rename the fsx.cfg file because I get the error message as soon as I double click the icon. It doesn't even have a chance to create the file.

Any thoughts?

Thank you to anyone who can make a suggestion.

Todd

Do you keep your computer updated by visiting the Windows Update site? If not, try updating. Make sure you are using Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates. I would ensure you have the following installed:

MSXML.MSI - See second CD. If not U.S., pick the correct country.

W. Sieffert

As far as I can tell my computer is updated, I go to Windows update every so often and download updates. I just did and it still does not work. I also verified that I have msxml.msi installed and I do. I'm trying to avoid erasing the entire harddrive and reinstalling windows but I don't know what else to try. I'm also trying to avoid calling the FSX support people but that might have to be my next step.

Thanks for the help, if you think of anything else please let me know,

Todd

7. Default RE: FSX Will not start, please help

Have you tried to run the system with JUST the new stick of ram? remove your old existing sticks and see if it will run on the new single 1 gig stick. Just cause the system says its THERE doesn't mean that its not corrupt and causing your memory error messages.

Andrew

It works!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I was on hold with Microsoft (about 20 minutes into an estimated 52 minute wait time) and starting playing with things. I decided to try reinstalling all of the drivers for various things (sound, video, etc). Instead of using the CDs that came with them I got the drivers from the websites. I tried the sound and nothing changed but then I downloaded a new driver for the video card. The driver was released October 31st, so recent enough to where I thought it might work and it did! I installed it, restarted the computer and FSX decided to work. So i'm happy. Now the tweaking begins. I have noticed that with all of the texture and mesh sliders all the way up (thats with pretty much no 3D scenery) and I get up to 30-40 fps. Thats also with light bloom and various other fun things up, other than any traffic. But as soon as I move up the scenery complexity or autogen at all it goes down to 12 or less. Oh well, let the tweaking begin!

Thanks again,

Todd

I just read your original post and am glad you've since solved your problem. This is for future reference perhaps. I had a similiar problem that arose when I added additional ram (removed from another computer I wasn't using). The added ram was slower than that which was installed. I put the slower ram in the first RAM slot and all was well.