Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High End computer System Eye Opener

Default High End computer System Eye Opener

Bought a new high end system, 2gig ram, 4800 dual core Athlon, (1)nvidia 256 Gforce 7800 PCI express video card, 2 10K RPM Rapter HD's. (Raid 0) I also run dual monitors off the one card! (non SLI)

I Have interesing info for all of you. First off, I get FPS from the 60's to over 120 consistently, with default aircraft AND at Sea-tac AND with all sliders maxed and plenty of clouds!

This system delivers very high FPS! HOWEVER, even with the super high FPS I still get stutters just before touchdown, and at times on turns - just as always! It is NOT the hardware guys, it is FS9! In Spot plane view, the stutters are very frequent even at 80FPS! Again! Don't blame your equipment! It make no difference moving sliders back, you'll get the same results. FS9 is the culpret, I am 100% sure, and I put up near $5000 to find out!

Fortunately, on a straight ahead "in the cockpit view" it is buttery smooth, except for a periodic stutter just before touch down! so don't delude yousrself into thinking a new computer is going to make FS9 run perfect. It will not!!!!!

Kosmo007

Default RE: High End computer System Eye Opener

Can't agree with you on this one!

When I had a P4 3.2GHz system I was plagued with low frame rates and constant stutters. I tried everything - tweaks galore, different video drivers, chipset drivers etc., etc., etc. Nothing worked.

I then switched to an Athlon 4000+ and all my problems went away.
    I have frame rates that average about 50 (and that's with a 6800 Ultra AGP video card) and absolutely no stutters whatsoever. FS9 now runs a smooth as silk.

....Noell

AMD Athlon 4000+ (San Diego)
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 GB OCZ DDR400 CL2
    BFG 6800Ultra OC (Driver: XG81.95v2)
    WD 36GB Raptor
    WD 74GB Raptor
    WD 120GB Caviar SATA
    Audio: SB Audigy Gamer
    OCZ PowerStream 520 Watt

3. Default RE: High End computer System Eye Opener

Do you get above 19fps while landing at KORD in a complex virtual cockpit, say for instance the ATR with intruments all zoomed?

Absolutely! I have just about every add-on you can think of - Ultimate Terrain, BEV, Real Scene mesh, Traffic 2004, add-on airport scenery, complex payware aircraft etc., etc. For the most part I have all sliders max right and AI traffic at 70%. I usually fly in the VC with the TrackIR3 Pro. In a situation similar to the one you describe, my frame rate may intermittently drop to 25 but with no stutters or lack of smoothness whatsoever.

I should add that my system is dedicated to FS9. I've applied many system tweaks and have many of Windows services and processes turned off. I also tried many video card and chipset drivers until I found the ones that perfomed the best. I run my screen resolution at 1400 X 1050 with AA at X2 and AF at X8. And finally, the tweaks I did and the display settings I chose were in an effort to get the frame rates as high as I could. These things were not done to eliminate stutters. As I mentioned before, when I went to the Athlon 4000+, I left the stutters behind. That's not to say they won't show up again but so far I've been very lucky in that regard.

....Noell

AMD Athlon 4000+ (San Diego)
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 GB OCZ DDR400 CL2
    BFG 6800Ultra OC (Driver: XG81.95v2)
    WD 36GB Raptor
    WD 74GB Raptor
    WD 120GB Caviar SATA
    Audio: SB Audigy Gamer
    OCZ PowerStream 520 Watt

Should have mentioned there was a recent thread on this. You may find this interesting and helpful:

http://www.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard....id=19472&page=

....Noell

6. Default RE: High End computer System Eye Opener

Wow, mine goes to 5fps, dont ask me what system i have , i aint saying. Oh well i will tell you, its a pci{regular} video card computer . Obviously i will be upgrading, but im waiting like other people are until fsx is out.

"stutter right before touchdown". Usually a 3rd party plane with a touch down sound file that is too big.

Try locking the FPS at 30.... If you set it to unlimited you will find that there will be much more stuttering.

I said it before, top system inproves fps where it is already high, it provides 80 where lower system provides 60, who cares. But where fps are low, they are low no matter what you have. Try Simflyers KLAX scenery with Aeroworx Beech Kingair 350, your top system will do...ka-ka :) Overpaying is useless.

>I should add that my system is dedicated to FS9. I've applied many system tweaks and have many of Windows services and processes turned off.<

That has always been, and probably will always be paramount in eliminating game stutters. Especially CPU intensive sims. There are fundmental, required tweaks that you need to perform on any new PC or OS installation. Remember the OS is designed for the masses, not gamers. There's a ton of "conveniency-oriented" krap running that doesn't need to be. Every time one of these micro-apps performs it's stupid little task, it's a tiny spike in CPU usage, and there is your stutter.
    i5 2500k / Asrock P67 Extreme4 gen3 / 8800GTS 512 / 8GB DDR3 1600 / CM hyper 212 / antec 550W / ASUS 23" VH232H / Windows 7 - 64
    FSX UTX GEX REX TEX MEX SEX