Thread: Camtasia or Fraps

Blog Entries

Default Camtasia or Fraps

Hi All,
    Forgetting the costs for a moment, which is the better program for a middle to low end machine? Camtasia appeared better--apparently doing everything in one shot with not too much of a FR hit. However when I tried the same thing with FRAPS, there was a huge FR drop, low 20's to 8 or 9! Forget for a moment the large file size initially.
    Camtasia had one problem though. On my machine at least, I was only able to record FS. Any other program/game recorded a blank black screen.
    Grateful for your comments/ideas/experience.
    Regards,
    Erich.

Default RE: Camtasia or Fraps

You did not say what resolution you are using for FS. Or, what video card and/or min specs for your system. 2048x ??? might not be possible with FRAPS. Try 1024x768 (16 or 32 bit makes no diff). You won't see too much diffeence. Even at 800x600 videos are still 'ok'. Best part about FRAPS is it's 'free trial' (wink-wink). I have 3.2 GHz, 1 gig Ram, Radeon 9200 AGP, and I get better results from FRAPS if I choose 'half frame' and '20 fps'.

Did not try Camtasia. I know 'CamStudio' (may be same program?) which was very good, but now is very expensive. So, me, I DON'T forget the price! (ha).
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Thanks Chuck,
    Have used in both resolutions, 1024x768 & 800x600 @ 15 Fps, but Fraps has a heavy hit. Camtasia & CamStudio are different. Camtasia's expensive! but what's the price for good results. Only thing holding me back is the blank black screen in Camtaasia for programs other than FS. Incidentally, which version of Fraps are you using?

Anyone out there who's tried Camtasia on other than FS with a result?

Regards,
    Erich.

Erich,
    I use ver 2.3.3.2673. I did not register it (yet), but it's priced right. Just don't use it that much. I did 'uninstall'(control panel/add remove progs) and re-installed it after it started to stutter, droping frames, etc. Worked good after that. Very good quality videos. Not too many screen recorders out there that work as claimed. FRAPS surprised me.
    Chuck

If you're gonna shoot footage from games, Fraps is the way to go.

Camtasia is brilliant for desktop filming, for example showing somebody how to make tables and charts in Word and shooting a video of it. I tried Camtasia with FS2004 once, but it simply wasn't designed for that kind of thing.

Cheers.
    FS9 & FSX running on Q9550 Quad @ 3 gHz, Nvidia 512 MB 9800GTX+, M-Audio Firewire 410, 2gb RAM, CH Yoke & Pedals, Top Gun Afterburner II, TrackIR Pro

X-Plane 9 running on Apple iMac 27"

Blog Entries

Thanks for reply. Are or were you able to record any program other than FS. I just get a black screen. I must be doing something wrong. Any advice?

And Chuck, you always kindly advise me! I'll try the version you suggested. I have seen some excellent videos in Fraps, notably the Super Connie by Maj. 'Dracs'.

Am trying, am trying---all help past and future appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Erich.

There's a couple of things.

First, go control panel, then dbl-click on system icon. Then go to Advanced tab, then to 'Performance...'. Look to make sure 'Programs' buttons are checked (are given priority, NOT 'Appearence' and NOT 'Cache') on both.

Then make sure page file (virtual memory - click on 'Change') is 2 1/2 times the size of RAM installed, and make the size the same for 'min' / 'max'. Windows don't like this, but just ignore Warning. Restart to make effective.

You said 'half frame' and '15 fps', but I find half frame, and 20 fps works better, especially if you have a 'better' video card. I also suspect that if you have not COMPLETELY un-installed old video drivers before installing new drivers that there MIGHT be enough of a conflict to effect how FRAPS will work. Video is not my forte', but I read the forums for ideas on how to improve video, and that (COMPLETELY UNINSTALLING OLD DRIVERS) seems to be a point most people seem to ignore, then expect video card to 'work right'. HELLO! (haha)

Also, you did not say if you are using Windos XP. This latest version of FRAPS works good with XP and FS9. I also suspect that SOMEHOW Wins Media Player 9 (with ALL the plug-ins installed) might influence how well FRAPS works-but don't quote me-not positive. Good luck.
    Chuck

There's another option. A software called GameCam.

http://www.planetgamecam.com/

I haven't used it but a friend of mine said that it was far superior to FRAPS.

Blog Entries

Thanks Chuck & Drumex. Besides Fraps, on which you are justifiably sold, I'll also try GameCam. But it still bugs me why Camtasia won't record anything but FS.I'm only stuck on this because I made some good videos on Camtasia. I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong. ANYONE please,
    can you tell me what or why?
    Thanks,
    Erich.

Blog Entries

Thanks Chuck & Drumex. Besides Fraps, on which you are justifiably sold, I'll also try GameCam. But it still bugs me why Camtasia won't record anything but FS.I'm only stuck on this because I made some good videos on Camtasia. I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong. ANYONE please,
    can you tell me what or why?
    Thanks,
    Erich.