Thread: FS9.cfg in Windows 2000

Default FS9.cfg in Windows 2000

In FAQ there are instructions to find FS9.cfg in Windows systems except for Win 2000. Can someone show me were to look in Win 2000?

Blog Entries

Default RE: FS9.cfg in Windows 2000

I've very little experience with Win2000, but what experience I do have, I found it to be very similar to WinXP. The fs9.cfg should be in the same location. Make sure you have your computer set to "show hidden files", and I'll bet you'll find it.

Darrell

3. Default RE: FS9.cfg in Windows 2000

Use the search function in Windows Explorer & look for FS9.cfg?

Mike.

hi,
    look at:
    Documents and settings/administrator/application data/microsoft/FS9
    /FS9.cfg
    cheers
    Sandokan

windows 2000 IS windows XP. Its actually all Windows NT. The file system is the same and the kernalls are all the same and the way the whole system works. So it shouldnt be different at all theoreticaly.

Again, thank you for your responses, it kept me looking... Because of my limited knowledge, I didn't know that you had to activate under: my computer -tools -folder options -view, to be able to show more hidden files than what I was seeing. I finally found FS9.cfg as all you mentioned. I opened the file and it was empty.

When I try opening FS9, it gives me the "accept" icon and then it goes blank and reboots the computer. Do I have faulty installation disks?

Luis

'windows 2000 IS windows XP. Its actually all Windows NT. The file system is the same and the kernalls are all the same and the way the whole system works. So it shouldnt be different at all theoreticaly.'

It's all Windows NT... Correct, but they're not the same!

NT 3.1 != NT 4.0 Workstation != 5.0 Windows 2000 != 5.1 XP Professional != NT 5.2 Windows Server 2003

While I don't work at Microsoft, I'm willing to bet a fairly considerable amount of money that the kernels are different. The file systems aren't necessarily the same, as they all offered FAT32 and NTFS as options at installation.

I've used all of the above operating systems (for varying lengths of time) and I can tell you that they are not even close to the same. Windows NT 4.0 Workstation didn't have C:\Documents and Settings when using a roaming profile - possibly without one, I never checked - but when using one it went to %systemroot%\Profiles (by default C:\WINNT\Profiles) if I remember correctly.

Windows NT 3.1 was the first NT, and was 32 bit. If I remember correctly, it never used Protected Mode, and wasn't multithreaded. Windows NT 3.51 was the first to do so. It was basically a mix of IBM OS\2 and Windows 3.1x.

Windows NT 3.51 was considerably better, followed by Windows NT 4.0. NT 4.0 was effectively a Windows 95 for businesses.

Windows NT 5.0 AKA Windows 2000 looked a little like ME at the start but was a decent operating system. It looks a little dated now but still demands a certain degree of respect as it still runs most things (despite having just lost free support from Microsoft) and is fairly stable.

Windows NT 5.1 AKA Windows XP was a bit of an update. Some claim it's less stable, others more. It was certainly one of the least secure and well done ones 'out of the box'. It requires (IMMO) SP2 to make it even remotely a reliable operating system - despite some good features having been included. It's still not a huge jump forward. It is the only one of these (except Server 2003) with a 64 bit edition however. Its most obvious difference was the tellytubby-land default UI... changed by administrators everywhere back to Windows Classic and by tweakers and people with nothing better to do to Windows WhatInTheNameOfAllThatIsGoodAndSacredInThisLifeHappened here.

Windows NT 5.2 Server 2003... Not used this a huge amount to comment, but it is definitely a more professional look - reliability etc I cannot comment on. I've used it to fix issues for other people, but never installed it or done any particularly indepth configuration.

hi,
    if I'm not making a mistake the Topic was:
    "FS9 .cfg in Windows 2000" and not a well learned dissertation about the Windows NT differences.
    Since I'm using Windows 2000 I'm sure that the FS9 .cfg file can be found at:
    My computer/diskXX/Documents and settings/administrator/application data/microsoft/FS9/FS9.cfg
    Regards Sandokan

Unless I too am making a mistake, that has also been answered earlier in the thread, hence the lack of that information in my reply. :) Was simply seeking to correct an error by providing an informative reply. :)

I would try deleting (or renaming, for a less destructive method) the FS9.cfg if it is empty, and see if Flight Simulator will rebuild a working one for you. You will have to replace any changed settings however.