Thread: Do most of you upgrade from one FS to another right away.....

1. Default Do most of you upgrade from one FS to another right away.....

Example fs 95 to 98 then 2000 (regular or pro) the n 2002 and then 2004. I'm curious I went from 98 to 2004 to see much improvement i find from one year to another unless the whole graphic engine is changed i don't see a reason to change.

Don't you notice that every sim every 2 years requires a new system and all the add ons you bought have to be rebought or updated.

So my question is who makes the move and when? I highly doubt my p4 3.0ghz will run fs 10 (2006) smoothly.

So why not just buy a bunch of add ons now keep it for 4 years then make the move and buy a new system with the new sim.

I'm curious to hear what other simpilots do?

p.s. The main purpose of this thread is that there is a lot of good add ons coming out in the new year and so does the new flight sim!!!
    i7 920 @ 4.20 GHZ (Stable) Noctua SE cpu cooler
    6GB DDR3 Mushkin Redline 1600 CL6 ram/ 1xSata WD Black / FSX 1xvelociraptor
    EVGA GTX 480 / win 7 pro 64 bit
    Asus p6td Deluxe Antec 750 watts

Default RE: Do most of you upgrade from one FS to another right away.....

I've been using FS since FS2 and I've generally upgraded to the latest and greatest fairly quickly (particularly FS98, FS2002 and FS9). The only recent upgrade I completely skipped was FS2000. I tried it, didn't like it and stuck to Flight Unlimited II and III until FS2002 arrived. But that's just me. I don't usually load up on payware (or freeware for that matter). Not that I fly default a/c much but I usually get a couple of payware addons and fly them to death. So, I never have that much to lose (or reinstall) from the upgrade and the actual software isn't really that expensive compared with the cost of addons. There are usually enough things to like about each new version that make it worthwhile to upgrade.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600, 9800GTX+, 4GB, Win7 HP 64-bit, TH2GO, 8 GoFlight, CH [Eclipse Yoke, Throttle (Pro and Quad), Combat stick, Pro Pedals], Saitek [Yoke, pedals, X52], TrackIR 3

I've gone FS2000, FS95, FS2000 (Don't ask lol), FS2002, FS2004. :) I intend to upgrade every time. Eventually I'll persuade myself to upgrade. :P

Started with FS2 v. 1 for Commodore C64 computers but since MS "integrated" Mr. Bruce Artwick - for certain political, social, philosophical, quality related and financial reasons - I bought the "even" releases only.

Well I got FS98 but skipped FS2000 simply because I was too busy with the Flight Unlimited series. The simplistic scenery and weather and "empty" skies of FS2000 didn't interest me.

I bought FS2002 and then 2004 when it came out. That decision was easy - I didn't have many addons for FS2002 (a total of 1 payware) and FS2002 weather was a joke - even the blue sky colour looked unrealistic.

So, with FS2006/7 I'm not sure. I will probably buy it when it comes out to check out the new features but I will probably also keep FS2004 for a while for compatibility with my favorite addons. But, it all depends on what new features the sim brings - if it features ultra-realistic scenery or revolutionary flight modelling then why stick with the old tech? On the other hand if it just adds a bunch of new planes, some autogen objects and new clouds (*cough*CoF*cough*) then there's no reason to loose 20 addon planes and sceneries just to have "the latest". What it comes down to (for the first few months) is: Is a stock installation of FS10 "better" than FS9 with addons?

6. Default RE: Do most of you upgrade from one FS to another right away.....

Until there is an announcement by MS, we should not make assumptions about when the next version will be released.

ponyboy Guest

I've only performed one upgrade from 2002 to 2004 and bought it the first day it came out and haven't looked back.

Right now though if 2006 was to come out I would probably hold back for awhile. There would have to be some remarkable changes as I am really content with 2004. (The add-ons, scenery, clouds are so good right now). Especially if I upgrade to a P4 4GHz by years end I'll be swimming in framerates while it probably would perform only so-so with a 2006 version.

8. Default RE: Do most of you upgrade from one FS to another right away.....

I'm enjoying reading all your situations and must add that upgrading a system from fs 95 to 98 was a joke because the graphics and technology didn't change much i mean you could of had a top notch p1 and there still would be nothing to see besides square clouds flat terrain and no planes besides your cessna 152 trying to fly patterns at meigs field :)

But re upgrading a whole system on the next sim which 'might' be less than a year away doesn't feel right the timing seems off. I'm not blaming any companies although we all know its all about money.
    I would love to see fs 2006 run on my p4 3.0 ghz but of course we would need the whole sim to be rewritten graphically. I know there would not be much improvements if it ran smoothly with a future sim.
    i7 920 @ 4.20 GHZ (Stable) Noctua SE cpu cooler
    6GB DDR3 Mushkin Redline 1600 CL6 ram/ 1xSata WD Black / FSX 1xvelociraptor
    EVGA GTX 480 / win 7 pro 64 bit
    Asus p6td Deluxe Antec 750 watts

INTENTIONS:
    Patience!
    Wait! Read the evaluations!
    See if there are any patches!
    Don't buy until the rush is over and they are on sale!
    As good as FS9 seems to be becoming and there are still many
    improvements and great addons almost daily that I don't want to
    loose, so consider just sticking with FS2004!

YEA! SURE! Just like I did with all the other upgrades Hee! Hee!

REALITY:
    PREORDER PREORDER! PREORDER! (which is what I have perpetually
    done and will probably do again.

Know everybody else out there has more patience and wisdom than I do huh?

Happy flying:
    RTH

Remember the cartoon with the two buzzards sitting on a limb, saying "Patience? Lets go kill something." I'm already chomping at the bit for the next version. Upgrade and never look back, I say. it only gets better and better. I don't care what the cry babies and whiners say about their 50 bucks wasted on not fully tested software. I buy it , install it and make it work. ##### bless the USA and the capitalist pigs at Microsoft. :-lol :-lol :-lol

Oh no! You didn't really delete my reference to the supreme being. that's going a bit too far.
    Intel Core 2 Duo@ 2.4 GHz-ASUS P52GB-OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066 K Premium MoBO
    XFX 8800 GTS 320MB PCI Express
    More Disk Space than I'll ever need.
    Gotta Love It!