Thread: FS2004, Jeppesen FlitePro IFR Flight Simulator, On Top v8.0, or Elite Flight Sim

1. Default FS2004, Jeppesen FlitePro IFR Flight Simulator, On Top v8.0, or Elite Flight Sim

What would you say is the best simulator software out of the above?

what is the best for learning towards getting your private pilot's license?

Default RE: FS2004, Jeppesen FlitePro IFR Flight Simulator, On Top v8.0, or Elite Flight

Each one of those you've listed except MSFS is an instrument proficiency simulator, they are not designed for private pilot training. They will help you learn basic instrument flight though.

MSFS may help you with your private ticket some IF you have an instructor guiding you.

Default RE: FS2004, Jeppesen FlitePro IFR Flight Simulator, On Top v8.0, or Elite Flight

None of these will be of any great help in getting your PPL, and may even lead to the formation of bad habits since there is no way any of them can replicate the feel of flying.

Your focus in private training should be outside the aircraft, not on the panel and that is what all of these sims are good -- learning procedures and scans toward an instrument ticket.

Spend yourmoney on flying right now and then save some for sims later on.

Bob

I am aware that some of the Elite software (when used with approved hardware), (please see flypfc.com or here is the link

http://www.flypfc.com

there you will find the FAA requirments, the needed hardware and the hours you may be able to apply. Elite software is used with the PFC hardware, (if I still have this correct) it is the CAT III and CAT II consoles. These and some other productsd are AATS (Advanced Aviation Training Systems) are the main two products you can order as an approved hardware set-up. Even as the hardware may be purchased one at a time, a console purchase is a safe way (with documentation to ensure that your set up is approved)to get the needed hardware you may in-deed make this a step by step process. The nice thing (if budget allows), is that the system is tested prior to you gettimg it.

Please also know that Elite also has hardware. Alot of it is manufactured by PFC. I hear ya, LOL. The compaines do work together on alot of items as the OEM (Origonal Equipment Manufacturer), be it software and or hardware. IE, the Elite software is very much recommended by PFC.

I also am aware of the "Project Magenta" advertised on this site (I think) and on our friends at av-sim ( I am pretty sure). Bottom line the detials ((like having an approved instuctor on-line ect)) are spelled out as wll as a really nice staff. I think the lady in charge of sale and who will be glad to get you info is Kim Budak. Her # is 888-638-1310.

Pleas hear this, I do not have any financial or other investment intrest of any kind with the two above mentioned organizations.

I have found the harware (it is not cheap) to be wonderful, as well as practical in the franework that as I progress I can actually log some hours.

I hope this helps.

Good Flying.

Are you also aware that you need a CFI to sign you off in order to count the hours? Its easier, and cheaper than buying the equipment to go to a flight school and rent their rig.

Use FS2004 for fun and to learn navigation. Use a real airplane to learn to fly.

I agree with you. It is a nice feature to log a few hours (a few) with out having to leave the house. I tried to spell out in first message that the hardware needed was specific to FAA approval, i.e. I feel its more practical to purchase a system as it (assuming you buy an approved one)is approved and you eliminate any mistakes and or conflicts especially from the instructor that must approve (be with you and or online with you to log the hours allowed.

I also agree the best time logged is in the seat of a real (i.e.. brick and mortar, LOL).

As for the cost of the hardware and the value it brings I guess thats the choice of the buyer. I do not mean that the hardware takes the place of a real time logged in say a Cessna, or for that matter can the PFC products compete with the Sims like the one that will be available in this falls FS Conference in Denver, CO.

What am attempting to communicate is the fact the PFC Cirrus products are approved (please see the areas they are approved for, and requirements to be able to log any hours. They (PFC) have all the documentation you and your instructor will need to avoid any issues ((as long as you follow them)).

The client list and training facilities that utilize PFC (and Elites for that matter), becomes more impressive all the time. I am aware that one of the Cessna facilities utilize the rudder pedals due to the accurate feel they provide, as well as you will see; I tell ya here is the link to the press page at there site,

http://flypfc.com/press%20release/press%20release.html

And below is a few recent articles they released to the media.

December 28, 2003
    FAA authorizes more training time for PFCs. This is the Second Flight Console to receive Advanced qualifications for more log able time. In addition to the 10 hours instrument instructional use authorized in a PCATD the PFC CAT II may be used under Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) parts 61 and 141 to satisfy the following additional regulatory requirements:

1. 14 CFR section 61.57 (c) (1) - Instrument Experience; (Instrument Proficiency Check)

2. 14 CFR section 61.109 (i) (1) - Private Pilot Certificate: Maximum 2.5 Hours; and

3. 14 CFR section 141.41 (b) as limited by part 141 Appendices B and C.

December 1, 2003
    FAA authorizes more training time for PFC's CAT III Flight Console. This is the First Flight Console to receive Advanced qualifications for more log able time. In addition to the 10 hours instrument instructional use authorized in a PCATD the PFC CAT III may be used under Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) parts 61 and 141 to satisfy the following additional regulatory requirements:

1. 14 CFR section 61.57 (c) (1) - Instrument Experience; (Instrument Proficiency Check)

2. 14 CFR section 61.109 (i) (1) - Private Pilot Certificate: Maximum 2.5 Hours; and

3. 14 CFR section 141.41 (b) as limited by part 141 Appendices B and C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 2003,
    Oxford (England) University purchases 12 CAT II systems. More information coming soon....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 28, 2003
    USAF takes delivery of Jet Cockpit Trainer....information will be posted soon!

The main site I listed above, in case I made an error it is

www.flypfc.com

My attitude is that you are very correct that a real plane is best, not the most practical, as Sims allow hours to be logged and are here to stay. (Again complexity of Sims vary as noted).

I feel that if I able to use an approved Sims (although it allows a limited number of hours when used with the approved software (noted in my first message) then that a lot better than not using one. Even when using FS( for fun as you mentioned, I believe it is more realistic than not using the hardware. I find it keeps me more in tuned to the real world controls using the proper throttles, having to reach over to the avionics (radio stack) dialing in altitudes, OBS, Heading, adjusting the prop sync rudder trim ect.

I mean if its available to utilize why not practice with approved hardware. You can still have fun in FS( (not approved software at this time, although I wonder if it will ever be as I read on MS web site the Military is using it for basic beginning students, ((please note this is going on memory and as always I may have made a mistake)).

Hey the step into the PFC approved systems, are not cheap and certainly not needed to enjoy FS9. I have CH Products (yoke, throttle, peds), and they are great products and for sure bring a lot more realistic hardware to a large number of folks and myself.

The bottom line is that when I chose to invest in some more realistic hardware I chose to get something that when used with the approved software would be the closest thing I could afford. I have the Cirrus II; I could not afford the Cirrus III. And even when simming in FS9 Multi-player or solo I use the PFC a lot. As mentioned previously mentioned, I believe even when simming for fun it helps to ingrain proper actions with the addition of the more realistic hardware. I know it helps me. Now as mentioned to each there own. I looked at other brands and even owned some go flight products for a couple of weeks. But by the time you built a full (will call it a simmers cockpit to emulate as close as possible ((say the Cirrus II)), I chose to go back to the CH products and save the difference. The difference in price reached a point where I told my self to save (the price got to that point where you must choose) and get an approved set up. Again the stuff "ant cheep", but if attainable it made sense to me. I like having the hardware to keep the learning curve moving in (I hope LOL) a positive direction.

Again I agree with the statement that you made in you response in regards to a real world plane. If you can afford to log all you hours in a real world plane then certainly that is the best way.

Oh yea, I do enjoy grabbing my sidewinder joystick and firing up the Cub. Variety is a good thing.

Thanks for you feedback.

Take care.