Thread: What does "minimums" and "approaching minimums" actually mean?

Default What does "minimums" and "approaching minimums" actually mean?

long story short
    737 approaching an airport. Can hear, '500' '400' '300' then 'approaching minimums' '200' 'minumums'

What does it actually mean. Also another quiestion that only requires yes or no. Does the voice 'retard' only sound in airbus'?

Thanks

Default RE: What does "minimums" and "approaching minimums" actually mean?

I think when the aircraft says 'minimums' it is basically saying

"you are reaching the point of no return and you will have to land because i am not going to be able to get in the air again" So at 200ft the aircraft is comitted to land, no matter what.

As for the voice of retard upon landing, i believe it does only sound in an airbus, however i think Boeing maybe adopting it in its new 777-300ER.

Graham Harvey

would this not be the minimum altitude allowed on the IFR approach that you cannot decend from until you have a clear visual of the runway?

>I think when the aircraft says 'minimums' it is basically
    >saying
    >
    >"you are reaching the point of no return and you will have
    >to land because i am not going to be able to get in the air
    >again" So at 200ft the aircraft is comitted to land, no
    >matter what.
    >
    >As for the voice of retard upon landing, i believe it does
    >only sound in an airbus, however i think Boeing maybe
    >adopting it in its new 777-300ER.
    >
    >Graham Harvey

Sorry man, but you've got it all wrong on every count.

1) "Approaching Minimums" (normally heard on Douglas and McDonnell Douglas aircraft) is an aural warning to advise that you are within 100 feet of the Decision Height or Minimum Descent Altitude, depending on what kind of approach you are executing.

2) "Minimums" is an aural warning advising you that you have reached the lowest altitude to which you can descend on the approach without seeing the approach lights or the runway, again depending on the type of approach. If you reach the DH or MDA without sighting the Approach lights or the runway, you must then execute a "Missed Approach" which is a published procedure for safely getting back up to altitude and clear of the runway area to be sequenced back into the approach procedure by ATC. The only time that a plane is committed to land is when the throttles are reduced to idle. Prior to that, the aircraft has sufficient power and speed to initiate a go around or missed approach at any time. Many instructors will tell you that the only time you're comitted to land is when the wheels touch the runway. Anytime before that, you can abort the landing in a normal situation.

3) "Retard" is an aural qye to reduce the throttles to idle. This is present on any aircraft that requires the throttles to manually reduced during an Auto-Approach or Auto-Land. This includes the A300, some 727s, the 737, 747 Classics, and some versions of the DC-10. The 777 does not have this warning as Boeing's philosiphy is not to have unneccisary noises in the cockpit, and telling a pilot that the AutoThrottle is reducing the throttle to idle during an autoland is not necessary.

thanks