Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Private Pilot Aeronautical Knowledge Test

Default Private Pilot Aeronautical Knowledge Test

Hey, I need to take my Private Pilot Aeronautical Knowledge Test, soon, because I know I need to pass it before I can solo. Does anyone know how I can find out how to take this test? Also how hard is it to pass? Any help is appericated.

Default RE: Private Pilot Aeronautical Knowledge Test

Somebody's pulling your leg if they say you have to take it before you solo, but if you wan't to study for it buy the red book http://www.gleim.com/aviation/private/books/ for about 10 or 15 bucks, it will take about 2 days to learn the whole thing and you'll be golden.

Cool man.

Here's an instructors guide to the pre-solo written test that IS supposed to be given before solo flight is authorized http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa04.pdf
    Try studying it.

Ok, so how do I find a place to take this test?

Which test?

Your instructor should be able to help you on that.

Larry N.

Like the guys said above, before the solo, all you need to do is take the pre-solo exam, you don't need to have the written test done until before your actual checkride.

I think you should do it before you start flying, and that is what I would do now if I did it again. I'll take the instrument written first before I start flying.

www.LaserGrade.com Laser Grade
    www.CATStest.com Computer Assisted Testing Service

I know that CATS charges $90 for each test, and if you have an AOPA membership you get $10 off.

Your instructor needs to "sign" you off for these tests, and it must be on a seperate sheet of paper. If he endorses it in the back of your logbook, the testing center will have to tear the page out. I had that problem, but the guy who ran the testing center was an instructor himself, so he just "signed/endorsed" me on a seperate sheet of paper. Who would go to spend $80 and fail a test?

http://www.fsuniverse.com/images/us_IL.jpg

metro752,
    Odd that the supposed "testing center" would be tearing pages out of anyone's logbook. There is such a thing as making a copy of the supposed endorsement...atleast that's how it's done here. And it sounds like your instructor did something similar anyways.

Wright Air CEO,
    Your instructor is probably familiar with you at this point and if you tell him/her that you want to take the "written" then they will probably "sign you off" without any question. As far as "where?"...that's usually the same place you've been doing your flight training. For example, our "testing center" is located at the airport, but your instructor would be able to answer that better.

The other fellas have already recommended that you stick your nose in a Gleim book and start studying in advance of your checkride. That's good advice. The "difficulty" is based on how hard you study. If you don't read the Gleim, you are sure to fall victim like everyone else (who doesn't study) does. There are only three possibilites...but, darn it all if there aren't two answers that sound really, really good. :) Some guys are entirely capable of sitting down with the book two days before they take the test, go cover to cover and then score really well. I've taken my Commercial and my FIA written tests in just the past couple weeks and it took me about a week to get through each. Only problem is my brain has turned to Jello.

The written tests are by far the most annoying aspect of the testing process. The only thing it proves is whether you were willing to sit down and study the material. I've encountered so many people (myself included) who at some point could recognize the answer without ever reading the question. That's actually quite common. I don't condone it, but the night before any written test usually comes down to memorizing the answer "in the middle", the "one with the word 'continuous' or 'saturated' in the answer", and anything with "0600Z", "A"(equipment code) in the answer unless of course "A" and "R" are two of the choices...then, of course, the correct answer is always "R".
    My point is that I don't think the tests give a clear indication as to what all one knows. Which is why it is only part of the overall testing process (oral, checkride). I believe that a 70% is still considered "passing", however I suggest you try and beat that score as best as you can. I'm convinced that the length of your oral and checkride sessions are determined by the FAA examiner when he/she reviews what score you got on your written. So, you would be doing yourself proud by scoring atleast 90% or close to it.

The big news I've heard recently is that the FAA is may be revamping the question format soon. Meaning, the Gleim books won't be providing every question/answer possible. The "rumor" is that they will provide a couple examples and that the actual test questions may be worded differently that as published in the Gleim.

Study your Gleim and when you're ready to practice taking the tests, you can do so online at http://www.myairplane.com You need to register (it's free) and you can take as many tests (answers/explanations provided) as you want.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...6d5ed8d0a2.jpg

There used to be a presolo test guide AC on the FAA website, try looking there also.