Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

Default Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

Check out the screenshots for this upcoming release. Expensive but WOW!

http://www.flylogicsoftware.com/site...hpro/chpro.htm

Zane
    Regards,

2. Default RE: Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

Stunning! :-)
    But ouch on that price. :-(

3. Default RE: Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

I wonder what frame rate hit there might be. I'll wait for reports but the shots look fantastic.

Default RE: Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

currency exchange is no help either....

199 swiss francs = 147.46 US dollars

I would probably buy it though..pure escapism!!!!!

Pilatus Pashelle

They seem to recommend at least a 2ghz system and a 128Mb graphic card... Ouch! I don't think all of us will be able to run it...

Simon
    -----------------------------------------
    Simon

The minimum specs are sobering,,,2 Gig processor and 128 Meg Video Card..

At least they are being upfront about it.

Most scenery, terrain mesh, photoreal VFR etc does not impact my frame rate much. but if the scenery objects have too many little houses and stuff crammed in one area..frame killer.

I used to love to fly Switzerland in FS2002. Make it over the crest to the next valley..simply astounding view..love it. This new Swiss scenery would be worth the dough ..an indulgence for true.

Pashelle

7. Default RE: Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

>an indulgence for true.

Yes it is. Close to 200 clammers Canadian though is pushing the indulgence meter for me. And this is a guy who purchases a lot of addons Another question: wouldn't the size of the California Megascenery be approx. the same as Switzerland? Maybe someone good in geography can address this. If it is approx. the same size, the 4 times price difference would be astoundingly excessive.

Some of that would depend on the cost of the information/data used. In the case of any US scenery, much of that data is public so no cost is associated with getting it, only inputting and organizing the data. I know much of the material used for land information outside the US has costs associated with getting and/or using that information in any commercially available product... hence a more expensive product for the consumer.

Zane
    Regards,

9. Default RE: Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

>In the case of any US scenery, much of that data is public so no cost is associated with getting it

Actually I believe the Megascenery data is not free. But maybe someone involved in this project can advise.

10. Default RE: Switzerland VFR scenery looks incredible

Here's what I know:

The SoCal MegaScenery covers 125nm x 110nm, or 14,000 square miles (http://www.megascenery.com/products.htm). The area of Switzerland is about 16,000 square miles, so that's pretty similar.

MegaScenery uses 5-m images from an Indian satellite, IRS 1-C, which costs plenty to lots of money, depending on the processing level of the product (see http://www.intecamericas.com/IRS.htm).

The Swiss VFR textures are made from aerial photography, which is quite expensive too, usually has a higher base resolution, but is very difficult to compile and color-match without obvious seams. The screenshots look like they did a fine job with the tiling.

Photoreal textures have no direct frame rate impact but they take a long time to load initially and you're better off with a fast system with lots of RAM because you don't want to have the textures go blurry in mid-flight (it will take a long time to reload them!). However, my own photoreal projects from free satellite images run perfectly fine on my ancient PIII 750 256MB with Radeon 8500! Since photoreal has no to little autogen, frame rates can be faster than with default textures.

MegaScenery comes with night textures and a low level of autogen but seems to completely lack the ability to fly during seasons other than sumer (which is strange, since it's no problem to set the texture compiler to allow for using the summer textures during different seasons).

Don't know whether the Swiss VFR scenery has night or seasonal textures but they don't mention either. It also doesn't seem to have any autogen, which some people see as a plus, others as a minus.

I don't own either product, so take the above with a grain of salt ;-)

Cheers, Holger