Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beech King Air 350 Braking

1. Default Beech King Air 350 Braking

Guten Tag NOCHMAL!

I am having trouble keeping the King Air stopped at idle thrust... it seems never to want to stay still. I am wondering if this is a problem, or by design- the only thing is that it makes it harder to control Taxi speed.

I am gonna try calibrating my throttle console- that could be part of the problem. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

-Brendan

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...af74e31cc2.jpg

http://www.flybrendan.com

Default RE: Beech King Air 350 Braking

I don't know if that could help, but I just want to let you know that the King Air 350 works fine for me. The thrust may be a little sensitive (very easy to get the plane taxiing) but it can stay stopped at idle (even at high idle).

Like you said, you should recalibrate and see what happens...

Auf wiedersein! (do I spell this right?) :-)
    -----------------------------------------
    Simon

I think the problem is the way that turboprops are modeled in FS.

In real life, a turboprop motor is always running at or near 100% RPM (meaning that the POWER levers are max), but with a flat blade angle (meaning that the PROP levers are pulled way back). Thrust is developed as the blade angle increases, causing engine RPM's to decrease and in turn the fuel control putting more fuel to the motor to keep RPM's high. This is the part that is poorly modeled in FS. I have tried pulling the prop levers back, adding a little power (I mean a LITTLE!) and then advancing the blade angle to taxi. It works with limited success, but is more realistic than the way MS has it modeled.

There are a few freeware turboprops out there that have taken this into account and are much easier to control on the taxiway.

Hope this helps.

Hawk

As Hawk implied, you should be controlling the movement of the plane with prop feathering, rather than throttle. Feather the prop so it's not pushing any air, then advance the throttle...you should be able to taxi using the prop control, as hawk stated.

The King Air is known for creeping at idle. Reduce the condition lever to low idle and be prepared to control the props.

Chas

6. Default RE: Beech King Air 350 Braking

in king air aircraft.cfg
    edit this value:
    [propeller]
    beta_min = 15.2 //Minimum blade pitch angle for constant speed prop, (degrees)

decrease this value to say 5-10 and see what happens.

7. Default RE: Beech King Air 350 Braking

Also there was already in 2002 this bug:
    You could keep the king air stay still if you pressed the F1 (idle) button but moving the throttle from your game controller forward and the back to idle it wouldn't go fully back to idle. You had to press F1 button every time to actually cut the throttle fully.

Have maintenance check the brakes for excessive wear. Might be time for an overhaul.

>in king air aircraft.cfg edit this value:

>[propeller]
    >beta_min = 15.2 //Minimum blade pitch angle for constant
    >speed prop, (degrees)

>decrease this value to say 5-10 and see what happens.

Great idea! One that I didn't think of. I will try that myself and see what happens. Are there any technical resources on the King 350 that indicates what the REAL blade angle is at idle?

As a side note, prop feathering is not the same as reducing the blade angle. Feathering is what happens in the event of an engine failure (hence "auto-feather"). If the engine fails, the prop aligns itself with the airstream, similar to a knife cutting bread. By doing such, the drag on the failed engines prop is significantly reduced.

"WHY NOT A PATCH" ?

BECAUSE THE REAL WORLD AIRCRAFT EXHIBITS THIS TENDENCY.

You can change it using the fixes shown, but then it's not as real as it could be.

Chas