Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

Default Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

Capitol149 Guest

Default RE: Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

Good question! Albeit not the longest ... JFK's 31L-13R is almost 15,000' in length.

Capitol149

I don't know the definitive answer but judging from a previous thread (which was very interesting I have to say) it may be Denver International's new one - apparently due to open officially in September. By all accounts it's 16,000 feet long and rumour had it that it may have been planned to be an emergency alternative for the Shuttle.

4. Default RE: Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

Windhoek, Namibia is 15,000 ft. FYWH is the ID. I don't know how many airports in the US are designated as landing alternatives, but the length requirement is around 8,000 ft. The width is more important,and that requirement is 130 ft minimum.

I know Bangor Maine was an alternate site for the shuttle. The airport was a SAC base in the sixties. It used to be home to B52s stationed there. I believe the runway is more than 11,000 long but 300 ft wide. I do believe that Bangor was one of the first places the Concorde landed in the US. That was in July, 1974.

5. Default RE: Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

Generally.... To find the longest runways, look at places at high elevation. Airplanes need much longer t/o and ldg distances at higher altitudes, so start looking at mountainous places. I think Mexico City has one of the longer runways around...

The Shuttle is an exception. KSC or Cape Canaveral has a 15,000ft runway located at sea level and not only is it long, but wide... Prior to 9/11 and the new security concerns you were able to request "Shuttle tours" down there and fly a low pass over the runway at 500ft. What struck me while doing this is that the runway is also unusually wide! To the point that 15,000ft looks almost as short as a 9000ft runway at any other airport, because the visual illusion of width vs. length...

6. Default RE: Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

I think Denver wins with the new 16,000ft runway soon to open.

Longest runway will be dedicated June 23 in a ceremony at Denver International Airport.
    The runway measures 16,000 feet long and 200 feet wide.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has begun the process of certifying the runway, which is expected to open in September.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/dcforum...ef117e6650.jpg
    Are We Having Fun Yet! & Happy Simming.
    pSsT! Never Skydive from your flight simulator!
    Are we having fun yet?
    PsSt! Never skydive from your flight simulator!

United States Marine Corps Retired

Update!

Kennedy space center is located on Merritt Island which is on the east coast of Florida. Kennedy Space Center’s real name is Jonathan Franklin Kennedy Space Center of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. The worlds longest runway can be found here, as well as the third largest building. Additionally, it is also home of the world¹s largest mirror. The mirror is a memorial that was dedicated to astronauts’ that died in training. The astronauts names are carved into the mirror.

At the center NASA tests, repairs and launches space shuttles. The runway is about five miles long. On the runway there are two huge lines. The space shuttles try to land between the lines; however, it has never happened before because they either land before or after the lines. If the space shuttle lands between the lines NASA gives away a prize. Only NASA knows what the prize is because this has never been accomplished before.

http://www.dcate.net/blastoff/KSC2.html

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/dcforum...ef117e6650.jpg
    Are We Having Fun Yet! & Happy Simming.
    pSsT! Never Skydive from your flight simulator!
    Are we having fun yet?
    PsSt! Never skydive from your flight simulator!

United States Marine Corps Retired

Well, it's kind of true. The Kennedy runway is only 15,000 feet long, but has 1000 ft of paved overrun on each end, which may or may not count. (http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/facilities/slf.htm) If you count the overrun, it wins. The new Denver one is 16,000 feet long and technically qualifies as the longest in North America.(http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver...6/daily39.html)

-Smitty

10. Default RE: Which commercial airport has the longest runway in the world?

Actually, there is an airport in Tibet, Bangda Airport, that Boeing was all happy about regarding their 757 (they PR'ed the announcement) - it was then the highest airport served commercially and had the longest runway, about 18,000 feet. As far as I know, this is still the longest runway at any commercial airport. I still think they fly the 757s in and out of there.

This question came up here a while back - about a year or so ago. I posted the answer then but could not find it now. Anyway, this is from my poor memory.

Kathy