Thread: Getting altocumulus clouds

Default Getting altocumulus clouds

I was wondering how I could get altocumulus clouds to form in the sim. They are those cumulus-type ones that form parallel rows in the sky. I think they look fantastic.

One of the preview shots of FS9 showed those altocumulus clouds, so I suppose they're in there, but I haven't been able to reproduce them. It does say in the Learning Center at which altitude they form, and other information, but that didn't work for me. Does anyone know how to get them?

Thanks!

Default RE: Getting altocumulus clouds

I don't know how to get them but I flew through them this morning. I was flying with real weather download out of KSFO, 737. The weather was heavy clouds from 6000 to 24000 feet. I looked up and noticed those clouds (I think the ones you are talking about). At first I thought they were like a background on the sky to add effect but I noticed I was getting closer. I actually passed through them at about 30000 feet. They were thin and wispy and they were exactly as they look when passing through them in a real plane, amazing. I haven't checked the settings in the sim yet to see if you can manually select them. They may be automatically installed in conjunction with another cloud type. If you find out how to insert them, you will really like the effect.

Don

Nope, I think you're talking about the cirrus clouds. There is a cirrus cloud that also has the 'stripy' look, but (obviously), it's not an altocumulus cloud. Also, altocumulus clouds don't appear at 30,000 feet, but cirrus clouds do.

Thanks for your time, though!

EDIT: I found the picture and attached it... the altocumulus clouds are in the top portion of the pic.

I just checked out the sim. I think you want cirrus. You can set them in the weather settings.

Don

Do any of you know how to make it shower occasionaly while practice touch and goes at your local airfield?

Steve