Thread: Need Runway Length for Boeing 777

Default Need Runway Length for Boeing 777

What is the minimum, runway length requirement for landing the 777? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I would appreciate a reference as well as the information, if anyone can help.

Thanks!

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...7b39e3726b.jpg

"Cleared for ILS approach, Runway 9L, United 2149"

Default RE: Need Runway Length for Boeing 777

The first reference that comes to mind is the Aircraft Handbook that comes with FS2002. Page 55 gives the runway length required for takeoff and landing. Landing: 11,000 feet at flaps 30.

That number appears to be for the Maximum Landing Weight of the B777-300. The specific answer to your question is like many aviation answers; it all depends. The biggest "depend" is weight.

If you haven't already, search the files for "Matt Zagoren". He has prepared procedures and performance charts for many of the big jets. I don't know if he's done this for the B777, nor do I remember if landing distance is included in his information. But, he does have some good stuff published for serious simmers.

I'll look around some more when I get the chance.

Regards,
    JerryH

Edit: On second look, that landing distance from the Handbook looks very questionable (i.e., wrong). Also, I looked for Matt Zagoren charts and came up empty. It may be time for some serious Googling.

Hi Mike,
    I did about 5 minutes of a Google search and came up with these:

"This compares well with the Boeing 777-300 which weighs 300 tonnes and has a wing area of 430m2. The Boeing 777-300 has a take off distance of 3540m and a landing distance of 1860m."

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/co.../1983/772.html

You might want to use different search words, and see what you come up with. I just did not have time tonight to look any further.
    The distance will of course be dependant on headwind, fuel and passenger load, flap settings, speeds.
    Good luck in your search.
    Gary

Mike - I did a Google on "Landing Field Length" and came up with a 3-page description of landing distance as defined by the U.S. Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR).

Briefly, landing distance consists of two parts; the air distance from 50 feet down to touchdown plus the ground distance to decelerate to a full stop. These calculations (or flight test demonstrations) assume the thrust reversers are NOT operating. The total of these distances is then multiplied by 1.67 to come up with the official "government approved" landing distance that will show up in the Pilot's Operating Handbook. A skilled pilot can obviously do better by using reversers, etc., but conservatism is the name of the game when it comes to landing.

I know that Gary and I probably haven't answered your question, because we don't know the specifics of what you are doing. And as we have said, it all depends on the aircraft weight, flaps, approach speed, pilot skill, etc.

Your best bet might be to select a specific fuel load for your B777, find a long runway with distance markers and run your own flight tests to find the answer.

Let us know if any of this is useful to you.

Regards,
    JerryH

Thanks for helping out Jerry.
    I did see some information about pilots saying they regularly land in about 6000' or less.This might have been in another country or where regualtion is lax. But they did not elaborate on the fuel load, wind and all other factors.

I am not sure either on what Mike was looking for. There can be a shortest Safe landing distance, shortest possible distance, shortest Government approved distance, shortest undel heaviest load, etc.

Many don't know that you can 'load your plane to max payload, rw weight or fly with an empty load. there are some load managers for some planes. But you can adjust the aircraft.cfg file to reflect your load.
    I never bother with it myself. But I will admit to messing with files and tweaking things more than I do in actual flying :)
    Take care, and see you later!
    Gary Rabbitt.

Thanks for all your help so far, everyone.

I am assuming landing with less than 10% fuel, full flaps, landing speed of 157, spoilers fully engaged and reverse thrust levers fully operational.

Last night, I landed on a runway that was 10,000 ft. long. At the above specifics, the plane stopped within runway limits without any trouble, but the end of the runway was clearly in sight when it finally came to rest - A little closer than one would normally expect.

Mike - You can shorten the distance by landing at a slower speed. Although I haven't tried the landing you described, my flight notes for a 10% fuel load show an approach speed of 138 KIAS. Airspeed crossing the threshhold would be about 128 KIAS.

Pilot skill is one of the major items built into the FAR rules for landing distance. My biggest mistake when flying the airliners is to cross the threshhold then float along in an attempt for a nice soft landing. Floating uses up a lot of runway, on the order of 200 feet for every second wasted in getting the wheels on the ground. Just thought I'd mention this, though I'm sure you do it better than me.

The next time you practice landing the B777, try this after you're stopped. Get a top-down view of the runway with Ctrl + S, then scale the landing distance with a ruler to see what fraction of the 10,000 ft runway was used. Should be a fairly accurate way of measuring the landing distance.

Looking forward to any progress reports.

Regards,
    JerryH

I know what you mean with regard to "floating along" just prior to touchdown, looking for a soft landing. I have gone to spot plane (side) view during landing to try and coordinate my spastic jerks on the joystick with actually making a smooth landing.

I have found that switching to spot plane (rear) view at the last second or two before actual touchdown usually produces the best results for a smooth landing. Any way you slice it, however, landings are tough.

Know what else is tough? Taking off in the 777 without standing it on its tail just as it clears the runway. I think I will start another thread on that one soon . . .

Mike