Thread: Navaids/ILS glideslopes for FS 2002

1. Default Navaids/ILS glideslopes for FS 2002

Hi!

Does anyone know if there any revised navaids with working
    glideslopes for FS 2002?

They often look OK, but my planes (various) don't lock to them
    and, instead, fall far below the glideslopes making it virtually
    impossible to land using them; I have to land manually.

Any tips?

Grateful for them.........

Hans Hermansson
    SWEDEN

2. Default RE: Navaids/ILS glideslopes for FS 2002

hmm, no problems here for the last 2 years...
    More training on your part needed I guess.

Default RE: Navaids/ILS glideslopes for FS 2002

Two things: Make sure you intercept from below the glideslope and a few hundred feet above the ground disconnect and manually fly to touchdown.
    Some addons will do a full autoland (PIC 767 is one) but most aren't able to follow the glideslope completely.
    Blair
    CYOW

Fuel (too much) and speed (too much) will get you every time.

scott s.

I have seen various answers to this problem over the last few months, and with the greatest respect, a lot of people do not know what they are talking about.
    I noticed this some time last year, when I switched to FS2002 from FS2000, were it had worked very well.
    I got in touch with Microsoft, and got the following reply, dated 29/1/2003.
    The answer is fairly long, but you will see that the FS2002 ILS Glideslope does not function correctly, and never has.

Quote " The problem was caused when Microsoft redesigned the way that aircraft work in FS2002.
    Basically,in FS2000 the autopilot functions resided in a section of the .airfile-. Airspeed control and ILS capture,(both Loc and GS) worked well.
    In FS2002 these parameters were moved to the aircraft.cfg.
    Microsoft have a comprehensive SDK in beta, together with a good Flight Dynamics Editor, but it is very clear that some thing has gone astray in the default aircraft. Third party aircraft have also been very hard hit, and many users are experiencing problems with a variety of autopilot functions, especially ILS GS capture and maintainance.
    This problem will not be resolved until
    1)Issue of Microsoft 2002 Patch. and at this time (29/1/03) there is no hint that they are even considering it.
    2)Third party developers get there heads around the SDKs, and fix the planes.

I hope that this explanation from Microsoft will help you.

May I add, that I was amazed at some of the answers that I got when I posted a letter just like yours. There are quite a few self appointed experts out there with no practical experience whatsoever.

roytc.

Make sure you lock in to the localiser (generally a 30 to 40 degree intercept) first, far out enough to stabilize in the horizontal approachj, generally eight to twelve miles out for larger aircraft. The glideslope intercept (GS above) then occurs about five miles out at the outer marker with your aircraft maintaining enough power, IAS, with correct flap settings for your weight to maintain altitude on the slope. Make sure you are not too heavy, not having burned off enough fuel, for the rated approach speed.

I generally use the AP in heading mode well before the outer marker to get closely aligned to the localiser and turned to near runway heading, then switching to APPR insuring that the GS indicator is still above to maintain the tight lock on the localiser which then captures the GS as it falls through. This way coarse turn adjustments are not required at the slower final speeds which could cause stalls or too rapid descents for the power/speed combo. It is important to be slowed with correct flaps for the descent, but not too slow. As the GS descent starts, you can add more flaps and carefully reduce power to maintain the correct final IAS, usually VREF (full dirty stall speed plus 30% - or is it 10%) plus another ten to twenty knots slowing to VREF at crossing the threshold. As the pitch raises for the flare touchdown, the IAS will further reduce and you can reduce power if necessary so you do not float.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team

7. Default RE: Navaids/ILS glideslopes for FS 2002

Hi!

I have solved the glideslope landings!

I now only use the FFX Boeings as user aircraft and they
    lock to the glideslope and really glide beautifully down to where they
    they are supposed to; beautiful landings!

So, no worries any more.

Thanks!

Hans Hermansson
    SWEDEN

I have not experienced frequent GS failures but I fly mostly third party aircraft for IFR. There has been an occasional failure but usually if I intersect carefully H & V as I described all went well. For commuter types I use the Beech 1900D and RJ-85 by Mike stone and a Saab 340B with a merge of the FSP and FFG models, the latter aircraft providing a more stable flight dynamics personality especially in approach/final.

One common problem is that elevator trim levels may have been set prior to the engagement of autopilot so they are out of range when using APPR. I'd look at the trim control during descent to check on this.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team

Yes,

This is a known problem with some aircraft and some airports.

If anyone doubts it, just try landing anything at Manston (EGMH) on the ILS without mowing the grass well before you get to the tarmac!