Thread: What is an ADIZ?

Default What is an ADIZ?

I'm studying for my PPL, and I can't figure out what kind of airspace an ADIZ is. I thought it was some sort of US governed airspace, and you need clearance through it. Looked in the FAR's, still not sure. Can anyone help a fellow pilot out?

Thanks, much appreciated!

|Win7 x64 | Gigabyte P67A UD4 B3 | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | eVGA GTX570 1280MB | 2x4 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint | 120GB Mushin Callisto SSD | 36GB Raptor | 250GB Seagate | Seasonic X750w | Corsair 650D|

Default RE: What is an ADIZ?

Air Defense Identification Zone.
    Here are some clips from the book I have listed below:
    A. National security in the control of air traffic is governed by (FAR Part 99).
    b. All AIrcraft entering the domestic US Airspace from points outside must provide for identifcation prior to entry. To facilitate early aircraft identification of all aircraft in the vicinity of the US and internationa airspace boundaries, AIR Defense Identification Zones (ADIZ) have been established.
    Heres some more from the book:
    AIR DEFENSE IDENTIFICATION ZONE:
    The area of airspace over land or water, extending upward from the surface within which the ready identification, the location, and the control of aircraft are required in the interests of national security.
    a. Domestic AIr Defense identification zone, AN ADIZ within the United States, along an international boundary of the United States.
    b. COastal AIr Defense Identification Zone. An ADIZ over the coastal waters of the UNited States of Alaska.
    c. Distant Early Warning Identification zone (DEWIZ) An ADIZ over the coastal waters of alaska.
    ADIZ locations and operation and flight plan requirements for civil aircraft operation are specified in Part 99.

Its got quite a few pages on National Security and interceptiuon procedures.
    Working on my PPL as well, at KSAC, and I picked this book up at Borders last week. I highly recommend it, its like a dictionary and encylopedia, with tons of information of procedures and things. Its nearly 900 pages.
    Its only $19.95 so it was a bargain! It's called
    AIM/FAR 2003
    Charles F Spence, Editor.
    By Aviation Week Books.

If there are any parts you need specific information about the ADIZ then let me know and ill post it from the book.

I got mine (FAR/AIM 2003) for $15 at the local airport and it's by ASA. Approved by the FAA and U.S. DOT. It also contains full color graphics in the AIM, which the book mentions on the covers.

LOL thanks Jason!!!!
    " highly recommend it, its like a dictionary and encylopedia, with tons of information of procedures and things. Its nearly 900 pages.
    Its only $19.95 so it was a bargain! It's called
    AIM/FAR 2003"

I'm required to have my own (ASA 15 bucks too), just couldnt find it in there, strange!!! I was under the impression that all aviation PPL students needed a FAR/AIM. Also, Jason, I'd recommend the red Gleim book to study for your written exam, and the PTS (practical test standards) book for your FAA oral and checkride! http://www.gleim.com/products/produc...php?proID=3604
    http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com/cgi...102+1060747895

|Win7 x64 | Gigabyte P67A UD4 B3 | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | eVGA GTX570 1280MB | 2x4 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint | 120GB Mushin Callisto SSD | 36GB Raptor | 250GB Seagate | Seasonic X750w | Corsair 650D|

5. Default RE: What is an ADIZ?

You're right, every student pilot should have a FAR/AIM. But what I do now instead of buying new FAR/AIMs every year is use the online FAR on the FAA web site. Has all of the same laws/regulations in it, just no AIM.

6. Default RE: What is an ADIZ?

ryanbatc,

an adiz is simply a line that demarcates airspace that requires a flight plan to cross WHILE talking to ATC (thus a normal vfr flight plan will not work). ask any pilot in washington dc as they are now ADIZ "experts".

also, an coastal adiz is used as a customs line. if you cross it you must clear customs, i.e. when reentering the new world you must land at an airport denoted on the sectional by "airport of entry" under its data block on a sectional or check the afd to see if it has a customs office.

if an examiner needs more info on an adiz then they are just mean.

good luck.

rich cfi/ii/mei

Along with Ryan, I'd also reccomend the Gleim book...it was excellent when I got my license!