Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Spot Plane View Flightsimmer

Default Confessions of a Spot Plane View Flightsimmer

Yes, I admit it. I fly from the "spot" plane view - outside my plane. I confess to it, but I am not repentent.

I further confess that I have been doing it since the FS4 days. I do it when I taxi, I do it when I takeoff, I do it at altitude and I do it when I land. I love it!

Why? because I like it. I like the view of the scenery, and I like the view of my airplane. For me the airplane is about 80% of my flightsimming enjoyment. Got to have a great looking plane - usually one of my repaints. For instance which of the following three planes do you think I like best?

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...931a158205.jpg

If you said one of the powerless, propjob whimps, guess again.

Who wants to fly with the following view of the world from the cockpit?

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...171c29b23d.jpg

Not me!

How often do I visit the cockpit? Frequently, very frequently. Got lots of buttons to push (mouse).

There I said it. Any other non-purists out there?

With tongue in cheek,
    Paul

Default RE: Confessions of a Spot Plane View Flightsimmer

I'm with ya Paul. I find that some of the interior views make it difficult to fly, spacifically the helicopter cockpits. I find the spot view with helicopters gives a much greater view from the side when landing, that just isn't available from the cockpit. Besides, check out the screenshots forum, I would venture to guess we are not alone :)
    Mike

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...c835ed2817.jpg

mluchia@telus.net

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-16-03 AT 04:39PM (EDT)[/font][p] HI

I also use the spot view but only for taxing around the Airport for take off or after landing but the frame rates suffer if im at a busy Airpot with 100% FS TRAFFIC 2002 Aircraft enabled.

Rich

AMD 2700XP
    512 DDR 333 mem
    GF 4 TI 4400
    7VAXP Ultra
    Win98se
    DX 8.1
    3D MARK 11870

happydude Guest

Isn't it more difficult to fly in spot plane view? Everytime I do it, I always end up going into the ground :-lol

Earl

Ditto to what Paul said. In addition I replay my landings (instant replay) from every possible angle. Good landings, so I an be impressed with myself, and not-so-good landings, so I can laugh at myself and promise to do better. Occasionally, I will even replay take-offs. :)

Jerry L.
    Tillamook, Oregon

This is a general reply to all.

First of all thanks for the replies. I was just having fun, but it is nice to know that I'm not alone.

It takes a little practice, but once you get used to the idea of it and the hang of it, I think it's fun and sometimes very challenging landing from the outside. I do it with everything from B-747's to Stearman Kadets. I can actually do the big ones better than the small ones sometimes - maybe because I'm more careful and make longer, better approaches.

I, too, occasionally do instant reruns and look at takeoffs/landings from all angles. You can learn your mistakes doing this.

Thanks again, guys.

Paul

7. Default RE: Confessions of a Spot Plane View Flightsimmer

Nope youíre not alone, I confess to also being a spot plane flyer for pretty much all the same reasons as yourself. Its spot view and Shift+Z one time for pretty much about 95% of the time for all aircraft and choppers. :-jumpy :-lol :-wave

[font color="purple" size="1" face="Tahoma"][/1]
    [Center]http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...95102511e8.jpg [Center]
    [Center]Mach Speed (760 mph) at sea level.

The earth rotates on its axis at a rate of a little more than Mach 1.3 at the equator.
    The earth revolves around the sun at the rate of approximately Mach 59
    The Milky Way galaxy is traveling at Mach 1,776.[Center]

>Yes, I admit it. I fly
    >from the "spot" plane view
    >- outside my plane. I
    >confess to it, but I
    >am not repentent.
    >

That's "fine", because contrary to popular belief, the spot view and a bit of panning is more "realistic" anyway! :)

Using a "limited view" monitor, you peripheral vision is severly compromised to far less than the excellent panaramic view available from the front seat of a real aircraft. Therefore, the spot view is much more realistic than looking at a full panel with just a glimpse of scenery, and those who sim fly from just the cockpit............. have had it all wrong! :)

Please, do not feel guilty ----- by any means!!!

Ladamson --- I fly from spot view often. Besides, past years of R/C flight has made it easy..

I might add that it's also more realistic when panning around to watch the runway and adjust the pan until you line up for the landing.

I use a Thrustmaster Cougar and use the top button to pan in all directions. I make my distant approaches using the GPS and use the pan for my final stages. When I get my pan going on the runway, I turn off the GPS and go on to final, etc., with it.

Paul

I, too, most often have it on spot plane view..... Often because the external engine sounds sound better than the internal sounds. Often because it's easier to look in all possible directions from spot plane than in the cockpit. Most often I taxi in spot plane (especially in bigger commercial jetliners where the wheel locations and wing clearances can be an issue).

Of course, I have some planes where the visual model just plain eats up too many fps to use spot plane view so I'm stuck in the cockpit where I should be... :)