PLEASE POST ALL NEW BATON/PIREP POSTS IN THIS THREAD.
The old thread was getting rather large for those with slow modems, so here is a new thread. Once again, be sure and post any baton-claiming and pirep posts into this thread and not into the old one.
Team avsim's progress can be viewed here:
I will not be around until about 6:00 PM eastern tomorrow, so any administrative issues will have to wait until then. If there is a controversy over who has the baton, etc, I hereby leave the decision up to the court of public opinion. This race is for you, so why not let you run it? I'm sure you guys can manage without me. ;-)
Contact info: If you need to reach me with any questions/comments/suggestions about the race:
AIM Screen name: RightFlankr
Team avsim is going great guns over there. It looks like this may be a race after all. I believe that they are at this point crossing over into Russia's Kamchatca peninsula. We need to keep it moving if we don't want to loose!!!!
Keaja currently has the baton.
Tailwinds and happy landings!!!!!!!!!!!
To be the first forum to successfully complete (and authenticate) a series of flights around the world. It’s very simple. Each forum has an imaginary “baton”. At the start of the race, a member makes a post onto this thread stating “I have the baton”. This member then flies a flight to another airport in flight simulator. Upon the completion of the flight, the member opens the flight analysis window and takes a screen shot (Print Screen key). This screen shot is then posted up onto this thread to authenticate the flight. After this post, another member makes a post, again stating “I have the baton”. They start from the airport where the previous flight left off and continue around the world, flying another flight. This cycle repeats itself until the forum has collectively made it all the way around the world. The first forum to make it all the way around the world wins.
The race will begin and end at Boston’s Logan International Airport (KBOS). From there, you can fly anywhere, but in order to win, the forum must land at least once on each continent (excepting Antarctica, which has no airports).
1) The only aircraft allowed are:
A) Piston-powered fixed wing aircraft (number of engines is not important)
B) Turboprop-powered fixed wing aircraft (max of two engines)
C) Any helicopter
Note that jets are NOT allowed.
2) You may not fly two flights in a row.
3) You may fly for either flightsim or avsim, but not both. The one you fly for first is the one you stay with. You have to choose sides.
4) If you crash for any reason, you must create a post so stating. The next person to pick up the baton must completely re-fly the leg from the airport you started from.
5) You must fly in real-time. In other words, your flight simulator clock must be set to read the same as your desktop clock. Be sure that your default airport is in your time zone, because if you have left it at Meigs, flight simulator will assume that the desktop clock is in the Chicago time zone.
6) You must fly using either flight simulator’s or vatsim’s real-world weather feature, including winds aloft.
7) No time acceleration whatsoever. We will know. If a post is made claiming to have gone 200 miles in an Archer, and the time space between the “I have the baton” post and the authentication post is only one hour, we will know that you must have used acceleration. Any instances of unrealistic flight times will be investigated, and if found to be true, the entire forum will have to go back to the departure point of the accelerated flight, regardless of where they have made it since the completion of that flight.
8) Flying online is strongly encouraged, but not required, except as provided below.
9) In order to ensure that many people can participate, and to make sure that this does not get boring, there is a time limit of 2 hours from the “I have the baton” post to the screenshot post. If there is no post from someone who has picked up the baton after 2 hours, the baton again becomes free and anyone can pick it up. The only exception to this rule is an over-water flight requiring more than two hours to make land. If you are going to make such a flight, please state so in your “I have the baton” post.
The Final Leg:
The final leg of the flight must be flown online, using VATSIM. This is so that all who have participated can share in the thrill of the completion of the goal. Following the completion of this flight, we may have an online event in Boston, pending clearance from Boston ARTCC.
Above all, this is to have fun. I think that if we all follow the rules, we cannot possibly fail in this respect.
May the best forum win.