FSX Steam Edition Carrier Practice Mission Crashing

I wanted to do some carrier landings today on the Carrier Practice Mission and strangely the mission loads 100%, then the FSX screen remains black and then crashes. Note the Following Conditions:

I checked the carrier traffic BGL and it's in the scenery file where it has always been.

The mission Rocket Launch Air Cover and Carrier Tutorial work perfectly fine.

My Boat/ship AI traffic is maxed out.

The Carrier is visible in both missions, so it's not a carrier issue.

I have the F/A-18 Hornet and have done nothing to the file.

And I have previously completed the Carrier Practice mission before with changes in-mission enabled, which I used an addon A-4 Skyhawk to do the mission and complete it.

Any help on this issue???

If I may...

If you want to do CQ's, may I recommend a few things?

1) Use Javier's Nimitz/Ike v2 for the boat. Really a beautifully done carrier. Available in the library here.

2) Use AICarriers.NET to place and control the boat. More variety of carrier task forces, or single boats, and you can pick the heading it's on, the WOD (using the weather engine in FSX), and so on. I can post a link to it, and it's FSDT Forum thread if you want.

3) Use vLSO. Those AI LSO's can be mean as a snake, but they're fair. If you can get an OK (note the underline) you're a far better pilot than I! Again, I can post the links like for AICarriers for you.

4) Use the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18C v16.1 hornet as your plane. It was developed by the same people that developed the FSX Hornet originally, but Ohhhhh what a difference! It has the most realistic FDE and FCS of any plane in the sim world. Very true to real life. According to several real world Hornet pilots they have on the Beta team. WELL worth a try. Fun plane to fly, and a joy for running CQ's :D Again I can give you a link...

In any event, Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If I may...

If you want to do CQ's, may I recommend a few things?

1) Use Javier's Nimitz/Ike v2 for the boat. Really a beautifully done carrier. Available in the library here.

2) Use AICarriers.NET to place and control the boat. More variety of carrier task forces, or single boats, and you can pick the heading it's on, the WOD (using the weather engine in FSX), and so on. I can post a link to it, and it's FSDT Forum thread if you want.

3) Use vLSO. Those AI LSO's can be mean as a snake, but they're fair. If you can get an OK (note the underline) you're a far better pilot than I! Again, I can post the links like for AICarriers for you.

4) Use the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18C v16.1 hornet as your plane. It was developed by the same people that developed the FSX Hornet originally, but Ohhhhh what a difference! It has the most realistic FDE and FCS of any plane in the sim world. Very true to real life. According to several real world Hornet pilots they have on the Beta team. WELL worth a try. Fun plane to fly, and a joy for running CQ's :D Again I can give you a link...

In any event, Have fun!

Pat☺

Thanks for the suggestions anyways and I actually did just download the Nimitz Carrier this morning but haven't touched it yet. Gonna try it tomorrow. Also, where do you get that FSXBA Hornet? I have a combat version of the default hornet which features a realistic radar that tracks targets and features a realistic M61 Vulcan Cannon.

Certainly!

You can get it right HERE. Just click on the little downward pointing arrow in the upper right area.

It comes with a self-extractor/installer. Just run that, and select the loadout(s) you want. You must install the Base version, but other than that you can select the load you want. A-A, different A-G loads, Clean, Blue Angel, and so on. Me, I prefer the Training loadout. No armament, but it has a centerline tank, giving me lotsa fuel to play around, practicing ACM, and so on, then going down, placing a carrier and doing CQ's. If you want, later, you can run the installer again to add another loadout or three :)

It has an A-A radar, and an A-G radar built in, and it's TacPac enabled. I don't have TacPac, so that stuff I can't help you with, but Jimi and Orion on the FSDT forums are very nice folks, and will be glad to give you any help you need. They are the leaders or the development team for the F-18's. Just so you know, Orion, in addition to being one heck or an C++ and .xml programmer, is also the operator of the Fleet simulators the pilots use to stay current, take NATOPS tests, and so on.

When it runs the install, it will also install the C++ Redistributable v2015 it needs for the FCS to run. It sometimes seems like it locks up during the install of the C++ Redist, but it's not. Just let it run. Sometimes takes a little while, but it's not locked, I promise.

There is a thread on it their forum, that's up to 91 pages so far. You might want to glance through the last few pages if you have any problems, or I will help if I can. You can find the forum thread HERE. There are also threads for vLSO and AICarriers, as well as several stickied threads explaining the UFC panel and so on. Any questions you have, you might find the answers there, or I will try to give you any help I can.

Hope all my babbling helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Yes, it was. AND there is a v17.whatever in the pipeline even as we speak.

I can sneak you a link to the beta version. Only one paint, and one loadout, but like I say, it's just the beta test platform. Once it's finalized it'll be reased like the v16.1, with all the paints and loads.

Remember, WOD for the Hornet is 35kts. Landing gross weight is 33K. Take a look at SHFT+6 with the hook down for plane gross weight. So you want the ship moving forward with about a 10 kt wind added from the FSX weather engine. Really steps up the realism for CQ's.

Enjoy it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived