FSX:Steam Addware ?

Vecter

Recently I clicked on the " Home " tab of the FSX user interface, the one that used to take you to the Microsoft Aces news site, and was surprised to see that this had been taken over by FSX:Steam with their advertisement to buy their copy . As I bought my FSX Deluxe set on the day it hit the shelves at Comp USA and then the Acceleration disc set the day it hit the shelves I am a little perplexed how they gained access to my computer to do this, and in light of the fact that I do not own FSX:Steam nor have an account with them, loaded their adware within the interface.

I for one find this troubling because it tends to make me wonder what other changes may have been done with out my knowledge or authorization. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Vecter,

Like you I was concerned with this company invading my computer without my permission.

To get rid of them, you will have to edit your HOSTS file.

This can be found @: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts. {Win 10 - 8.1 & 7}

Run Notepad as administrator & type in "127.0.0.1 www.fsxworld.com" without the quotes.

Save the file & you will no longer have their intrusive ads.

And you do not have to ask their permission to go flying!!!

It's not a change. They are using something like google metrics to track your past searches, & then to post what similar stuff to what you have searched for.

Nothing to be worried about. It happens to all of us, all the time.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

In the home screen you saw a website, fsinsider. That site is now changed to an ad for steam, because you can't buy fsx from microsoft any more.

Nobody gained access to your computer, fsx home screen gains access to internet. Was always so, for all of us.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flightsim site is perfectly safe.....it's your MICROWAVE you got to watch out for! It's been taking your picture and recording your conversations forever! You know that picture you have on your mantle or in the bookcase? Who do you think is really lookin' back at ya?:eek:

Spooky!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Again, noone hacked into your computer.

FSX alway cannected to internet. Remember therre was "Gamespy" for online flying in the "Multiplayer" menu?

The home screen always showed a website as well. That site was "www.fsinsider.com"

You could view that in the home screen. You could also visit it online in your browser and see the exact same thing.

That site changed when Steam was launched. Now if you open "www.fsinsider.com" in your browser, you get redirected to a different site, with an add for steam.

And the exact same happens in the fsx Home screen.

Again, noone hacked your computer.

A site on internet got changed. That's all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived