Increasing Performance - FSX:SE, DX10 Fixer, Both?

amtrak706

Hi all,

New member here. I have been using my boxed FSX Gold Edition on and off for years. I have never gotten any payware, but I have played with some freeware add-on planes and I am fine flying with my basic joystick. I have no visual add-ons of any kind.

Recently, though, I have been getting back into the game, and I have noticed that performance is seriously lacking. I am getting 15 FPS or so at Princess Juliana Intl., even with default planes. I am running at 2560x1440 with anisotropic antialiasing on and other settings on "Very High". Since I have a GTX 1070 and an i5-2400, I have tried using DX10 Preview mode, which shifts the load onto my beefier GPU, but it makes no difference whatsoever.

So I am wondering what I could do to improve performance. I have heard that both FSX Steam Edition and the DX10 Fixer add-on can give better performance, but I am not sure whether I should get one, both, or neither. If I end up getting FSX Steam Edition, I would like to sell my copy of FSX Gold, so I have researched current eBay prices and used copies are routinely going for $75 or more! Is there any reason for this huge price discrepancy over Steam Edition - in other words, is there some reason I should be leery of getting rid of my copy of Gold?

Sorry for dumping all this into one thread, lol. I would appreciate any insight into these questions, though.

I would begin with DXfixer with Gold(accel). Work great for a lot of us.

But first, did you make your basic homeworks; tweaks in FSX cfg file ?

(As recommended in many guides like Kosta's guide)

Do you use NVidia Inspector with your GTX 1070 ?

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

I don't know anything about cfg files. I would like to learn what a cfg file is, how they work, and how to edit FSX cfg files. I think beginning with how to save the file and where to save it to. Is that what Kosta's guide is and where can I find it. I'm at the bottom of my learning curve here but am willing to learn. I've begun by putting together a decent hardware and software system but need to optimize it. Thanks for reading my post.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

You will find that using Google on any subject will link you to the relevant forums, or sites, including Kosta's (as long as you include 'for FSX' or you'll get listings for 'real' aviation).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I have heard that both FSX Steam Edition and the DX10 Fixer add-on can give better performance

If you go to where you can buy the DX10 fixer, the first thing you will read is that it will not increase your performance. The Steam Edition improvements are more likely to be in stability than in performance. Given your report of your current performance it seems like you have something else wrong.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies. My bad on the tweaking guides, I was totally unaware that existed.

I am definitely seeing performance improvements with the standard tweaks on Kosta's guide, but I am still in the low 20s at major airports. With a GTX 1070, shouldn't I be pegged at 30?

Also, how difficult is it to get the DX10 fixer working properly? I would like to get it, but I am obviously still quite a noob with this stuff.

Thanks again

In my case, like many simmers, I HAD to get Steve's DXfixer to correct the "weirdos" after

installing of ORBX stuff. Black squares(streetlights and pylons) and square light's halos

Didn't have to do anything, just installed and it convert some files and voila.

You can fine tune some graphic effects with it too.

And the big bonus; shadows in cockpit... Wow, finally. So expected

Amtrak, do you use NV Inspector with you GTX ?

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

Archived