ILS aren't working for me

Darkrobin

What ever i do, changing heading, nav radio, it just dosnt align for the runway.

It's either flying away from it, or it completely missing it, i got gps set to nav and everything, its just not working for me, i've watched alot of tutorials, and followed them completely, but still nothing. I even made a flight plan :P

I know there is probably alot of thread by this ( and of course i am sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.

What aircraft do you try it with? Does it only happen with ILS? On any airport? Are you able to fly a radial to a VOR? Does the autopilot work?

What should work:

1. Set NAV1 to the ILS frequency

2. Be BELOW the glidepath (use correct qnh/qfe settings, altitude is crucial. You need to be below the glidepath!)

3. Set Course 1 to the ILS heading

4. Set navigation mode to VOR/LOC

5. Make sure you're on a 10 NM intercept heading and that it's set on your HDG.

7. Turn on your autopilot (fd's + cmd in some aircraft)

6. Arm the APP function (depends on flown aircraft)

7. Be configured! (Not too fast, first flaps set, max 30 degree intercept angle to ILS-course)

8. Make sure 'back course' isn't active.

It should smoothly stabilise on the localizer and pick up the glideslope in a while

Welcome to the forum(s). Everything you need to know about beginning navigation is here: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm .

Try it.....I think you will like it!

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

DO you guys know any good places i can practise my ILS? Not that "far" distances from each airport, but 10 min apart?

Both England and the US Ease Coast have numerous airports fairly close together. The South end of the West Coast of the US also. San Diego/LA area. Europe isn't bad either, come to think :)

Hope this helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Darkrobin,

Why not fly a loop circuit to the same airport? To get familiar with New airplanes, I do that.

For me it's KACJ JIMOP OHY VNA KACJ rwy23. ILS with a via VNA VOR. You can easily get to 13,000 and land jets (Airbus 318) or props.

YMMV, but find one like that in your backyard and make a circuit. If you set it up right, you can do touch and go's or fly the missed approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can save the game mid-flight.

Do an approach and get to the right altitude to intercept the glideslope. Then on the downwind leg or long base-leg, save the flight.

Gives you enough time before landing to set up the last details, flaps, gear. The time to landing is short, so you can do a landing several times in an hour to get better at hitting the ILS.

To save, open the menu bar with 'Tab', then click flight--save flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2. Be BELOW the glidepath …altitude is crucial. You need to be below the glidepath!)

Well…sure…I mean that is the correct way to do it…absolutely…but making that big swoop down from a thousand feet above glide slope…then busting right through it with a -2000 fpm VSI…skimming over the trees on short final… almost stalling out as you bring it back UP to and finally capture the glide path (about 10 seconds before touch down) is a lot more exciting…"any landing you can walk away from…etc." Just say'n :cool:

R/ Hangar 32

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I doubt they do this IRL, but in MSFS's, if you activate the APP setting ABOVE the glidepath, the plane will dive into the ground. That's why, aside from be the proper, correct method of intercepting the glidepath, people specify so strongly being below the glideslope before trying to press the APP button on the AP. If you do it above, you'll be in a smokin' hole before you know it.

Just a quirk of flight sims...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived