Stutter no matter what i seem to do

smp1991

I get bad stutter, like the ground is catching constantly. I've tried every combination of limiter, externally and internally and cfg and control panel vsync on/off. Tried Cfg tweaks, tried affinity settings. Any body know why this game is jerking like mad, mostly at low altitude?

Beginning to think that the game is just broken and unoptimized. Fs9 is fine.

16GB Ram

Latest Drivers.

The "game" is not broken (though it's not quite perfect, either), any more than FS9 is broken, but it does require a lot more system resources.

I'm not sure what "limiter"s are, and it's not obvious from your post, but did you try turning all the sliders down to SPARSE, then bringing them up a little at a time? Is it doing it in the open countryside far away from big cities, or is it only in the cities? Is it with all aircraft (some are resource hogs)? What add-ons do you have?

Others will likely have other thoughts/questions.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

When I reduced my FSX sliders, that helped, but the stutters were still there (and CTDs after about 30 minutes). Then, after I unclicked all of the sceneries in the Scenery Library except for the ones in use during a particular flight, the stutters became rare and the CTDs are gone.

Have you every tried using the nvidia driver vsync setting "1/2 refresh rate" along with an internal frame lock of 30 fps? This is the only way I can get smooth flight. This assumes the use of a 60 hertz monitor; essentially the FSX frame rate must be locked to 1/2 of the monitor refresh rate. If using a 144 htz monitor use "1/3 refresh rate" and 48 fps. This follows the traditional FSX mantra: "It's all about smoothness, not FPS". Sure, I can run at a "solid" 60 fps but the stutters are pure hell. At 30 fps it's smoooth (25 year old single malt come to mind).

Edit: Note that using this setting will not compensate for overloading the autogen, clouds and traffic settings. No cure here other than moving those sliders to the left.

Rod O.

MSFS or BUST!: i7 10700k @ 4.9Ghz, 2x16GB DDR4 @ 4000 cas 16, evga RTX 3080 ti FTW III

Well you can't 'fix it with your mouth'. First you need to give us your specs. Then you need to be realistic. You CAN'T get 60 fps with a laptop, for example. You CAN'T get 60 fps with weather, auto gen, and traffic set to DENSE. I could get 60 fps in FSX Accel and 200 fps in FS9 but only to brag about it as I WILL get stutters, and glitches, and OOMs (which I won't tell anyone I get). So pretend everything is running alright at 60 fps in FSX and 120 fps in FS9 - and mums the word on stutters, etc, because you won't get any 'help'. Not here.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

It seems to me that the OP is here to vent, not to get anything done.

There are two attitude changes needed here, one is to stop bitching and get ready to do something constructive, the other is to stop chasing numbers.

And, finally: FSX or FS9 are not 'games', they are SIMULATIONS. There is a difference, you need to grasp that difference.

Jorgen

Very interesting articles you point to here, Lesh,

But allow me to quote from the nVidia control panel article: "Since the vast majority of games are based on DirectX, this setting won't have any impact on them. An Nvidia Engineer confirms this in this article by noting that there is no driver override functionality for Triple Buffering under DirectX."

This should mean that triple buffering will not work for FSX, right?

Jorgen

Thank you, King. Smoothly was the word I was looking for, and that is something all too often forgotten. IMNSHO at this time, the OP caused the stuttering chasing FPS. And that stands until we get some specifics about the situation.

Jorgen

+1 My Uncle Dave stuttered like a banshee and tweaking his .cfg never fixed it!;)

(sorry, not speaking about a flight Sim here!) Sure Happy It's Thursday!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

30 fps is not smooth to me. I would much rather play fs2004 at 60 frames than fsx at 30.
Oh well.... what more needs to be said :(

The adage about leading a horse comes to mind.

Rod O.

MSFS or BUST!: i7 10700k @ 4.9Ghz, 2x16GB DDR4 @ 4000 cas 16, evga RTX 3080 ti FTW III

The thread isn't about whether it is a simulation or a game, it's also not about vsync, it's about stopping the stuttering. I told you my specs already. I have one of the best CPU's available, FSX should run perfectly.

I always play slow paced games with vsync on because it stops tearing and makes the picture smoother.

But you only get truly unlimited framerates without vsync. If you use vsync (as most of us do), with a 60Hz monitor you'll never get more than 60 FPS even if your graphics card is capable of much more. That's what vsync does - it stops the graphics card sending frames in between screen refreshes. What's worse is that if your FPS drops to below 60 FPS, vsync then limits your FPS to 30. The only way around this is to use triple buffering, which in itself has problems with D3D games. Take a look at http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html and http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html for better explanations.

I don't know what any of that means. I was merely giving the OP an idea to try. When I lock my frames, my FSX becomes a slideshow. Unlimited, no issues. That is all. And this is with sliders middle to far right, REX, detailed clouds, etc... specs in my sig; not a monster machine by any means.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

No info, no help. Give is your full system specs and maybe a copy of the fsx.cfg

Allthough we're allways willing to do so it's simply impossible to sort you out based on a CPU.

To get your expectations to a realistic level: anyone who tells you that he's running FSX with addons and max sliders smoothly without stutter at 60 fps has his pants on fire. Simply not true. Forget it. Aint going to happen. Never. No matter your rig.

I love this forum. KingNorris was dead-on, at least for me. I've got a pretty good pc, but had set my frame rates to 30 fps thinking that was good. And so after reading this thread, I changed it to unlimited. WOW!!! The stuttering is gone gone gone. Now there is at most a little bit of shaking. Very cool beans. FSX is still an awesome SIMULATOR! Oh, and TGIF too, MrZippy.

I put my specs in the first post....

My cfg is reset to default.

It stutters even if i put everything on lowest.

CPU 6700K....What speed? How many GHZ ? Have you tried setting unlimited frame rates?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived