Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: Review: SGA Freeware DC-9-30

Blog Entries

Default Article: Review: SGA Freeware DC-9-30

2. Default

Totally, the only snag is its lack of VC which nowadays is just about essential. I still fly the old Flight 1 DC9 which I must have bought 12 plus years ago and it works OKish in FSX too.

3. Default

Glad you liked my DC-9 article from a few weeks back! Well-written article, and credit on that landing - Smooth as butter!

Rabbit-hole indeed!
    I've been repainting and tweaking and I now have 47 of these suckers in my hangar.
    The virtual airline I fly with offered "special wings" for completing an Around the World flight so I'm like, 35-legs into this thing! (more videos on YouTube, search for "pretendpilot")

It was decent in its time. Here's some trivia for you: it was the second third-party model to have custom XML animations (the first was the DC-10 re-release). Fraser was able to insert them into models compiled with the FS2002 gamepack with a program he wrote that would look for one of four special parts - user1 through user4 I think - and drop the code in. This was a big step in the pre-SDK days, but four parts was fairly limiting (although an amazing thing at the time).

The DC-10's special parts were thrust reversers on all three engines plus dynamic wingflex (which was the first custom animation he wrote). The DC-9's were thrust reversers and the outflow valve. Before that, the only option for thrust reversers was the inaccurate default animation, which opened the blocker doors as a percentage of lever deflection - ours opened all the way at idle reverse at a controlled rate, which is normal now, but was new then.

Ah, memories.

IDK if these SGA DC-9's are the same as of those of HJG.. but if they are the same they are great, along with 'em panels they work dandy!... I even deleted my Sky Simulations and headed back to the freeware, the lack of VC is the downside part but the flying and systems are the best!

One of many things I (personally) like about Erick CANTU's models (freeware) is that despite the fact many of these are, by now, old models, they still remain "VERY GOOD" models and have "a lot" of life left in them yet.

They have (what I describe) withstood the test of "TIME" .... and continue ro "SHINE".

I know .... for a fact .... because we, at HJG, have successfully employed many of Erick's 3D models within our own inventory.

The HJG DC-9's though are founded on an entirely different 3D model by an entirely different freeware developer, but, Erick's DC-9's will support the HJG offered DC-9 panels, and soundpacks, if used with the HJG FDE .... although the HJG DC-9 FDE may require a bit of tweaking in order to become fully comjpatible with Erick's DC-9 models too.

Mark C
    HJG

Erick and Mark, thanks for the comments, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

9. Default

Holy cow, I never thought we would get the great Erick Cantu responding here!

Erick I have to say your models are still extremely enjoyable for me. I have all your models accompanied with over 1,500 repaints, which I have amassed over the years.

I actually recently repainted your DC-9-30 in Purdue Airline colors and uploaded it here, and on Avsim.

I honestly don't think there has ever been a better freeware classic airliner developer/designer than yourself. I really hope you could get back into it and endow us with some new classic aircraft once again.
    Ah well, one can only dream.

Cheers
    Ted

10. Default

These old models have stood the test of time...still fly FS9 fairly frequently, and these old tried and true planes are front and center in the hangar...
    ...ahh, the days of smoke, noise, and Mach .7x cruise...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast