What Is This Gauge?

andyjohnston

In the T-45C, right to the left of the two MFDs, there is a gauge marked ALT. But it isn't measuring Altitude in any way I've ever heard of. It measures about 3000 feet for every 1000 the main display shows, and only counts up to about 300 before rolling over. Is it just a bad gauge?

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

I don't have that aircraft, but it sounds as if it's maybe a radar altimeter, measuring height above ground, rather than MSL, although your comment about its display range doesn't make sense, as I read it. If it only goes to 300, then how can it show "3000 feet for every 1000 the main display shows"?

My mental image is confused by that description -- perhaps a picture?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I think its actually part of the simulated Ground Proximity Warning System - this lets you know via a Bitching Betty 'pull up' warning message. I think the height settings are based on the 'decision height' set in the RADAlt settings.

If you are not aware, Dino normally includes a PDF format manual for most of his models (I assume its his model) usually in a folder called Docs located within the main SimObject\ folder. Perhaps that will provide more info.....

Regards

Brian

Yes, that's the one. It's not a radar alt, I have no idea what it does.

The T 45 is a default in P3D

OK, you said is is labeled ALT. That's the standby altimeter, at least it is on my aircraft. I'll have to do a test flight to see if there is a difference between what is shown there and on the MFD. Never paid that much attention to it!

I just tried a quick test flight and the standby ALT seems to follow both the MDF display and the HUD display.

T45 alt.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If we are talking about the circular gauge immediately to the left of the the buttons under the HUD then I think that it is an Angle of Attack indicator associated with carrier approaches. I currently don't have the model installed so can't check or do any testing to confirm. Will dig it out from my Hanger Queens backup folder when I get time

Regards

Brian

If we are talking about the circular gauge immediately to the left of the the buttons under the HUD then I think that it is an Angle of Attack indicator associated with carrier approaches. I currently don't have the model installed so can't check or do any testing to confirm. Will dig it out from my Hanger Queens backup folder when I get time

Hi Brian! I was thinking it was that gauge also, but he did say it was labeled ALT which is the electro/mechanical standby altimeter. I'm wondering if it's something in the aircraft.cfg......if P3D uses that??

I guess I'll never know. Cruising right now at 20,000, it reads 60,000. The numbers only update until the arrow reaches about 300, then they sit ,motionless until the arrow gets back to zero.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Hi Charlie,

OK....see what you mean now......

As you state, it may be a .cfg entry causing an issue but AFAIK there are only two areas of the .cfg that may affect altitude based avionics and they are found in the [Electrical] and [Altitude_Indicators] - but they can be a minefield.

Another possibility is that somehow there is an disconnect between the QNH pressure settings assigned to the live and standby Alt gauges. A possible solution is to 'reset' the QNH using a key command - does P3D have such a command?.....(in FSX its assigned to the B key by default). Or, if the gauge has an rotary switch, you could try and see if it functions and try to adjust it.

Regards

Brian

Andy,

Take a look in your aircraft.cfg and see if you have this entry:

[attitude_indicators]

//Type: 0=None, 1=Vacuum Gyro, 2=Electric Gyro

attitude_indicator.0 = 2

If you don't have, then add it. This is what controls the standby altimeter.

Hi Andy,

Something else to check/confirm please......

WRT suggestions I made in my second para in post #10.....have you tried it? Also, does it only happen once airborne or does the discrepancy exist whilst on the ground.

BTW, I'm not 100% sure but I think that the T-45 provided as default in P3D is actually the Dino model albeit under the IndiaFoxEcho label. His latest version (2.83) is labeled as FSX and P3D compatible so it may be worth downloading it and testing to see if it has the same problem - it can be found at http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/ - the download link is located in the right hand column....

Regards

Brian

Yes, that's the one. It's not a radar alt, I have no idea what it does.

The T 45 is a default in P3D

I don't know what version of P3D you have, but it's not in my P3D (v2.4) and LM doesn't list it on the web site as being in the latest version.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi Andy,

Something else to check/confirm please......

WRT suggestions I made in my second para in post #10.....have you tried it? Also, does it only happen once airborne or does the discrepancy exist whilst on the ground.

BTW, I'm not 100% sure but I think that the T-45 provided as default in P3D is actually the Dino model albeit under the IndiaFoxEcho label. His latest version (2.83) is labeled as FSX and P3D compatible so it may be worth downloading it and testing to see if it has the same problem - it can be found at http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/ - the download link is located in the right hand column....

+1 That's the one I have and it works like a charm! ;)

Gentlemen, that gauge is an old analog altimeter. We old steam gauge pilots use to use them quite successfully, before those new fangle TV sets got mounted where real gages use to fit. ;)

If it is reading 3000 for every 1000, are you sure you aren't reading meters? Within FSX/PD3 you can set it to read feet or meters. The gauge, being American will be reading in feet.

John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

Archived