Newbie question about fsx steam and scenery creation

tbonepiano77

Hi,

I want to get fsx steam and I'd like to add photoreal mesh. I want to make my own buildings for small town airport and I want to start doing a lot of scenery design of my own. Is the steam version going to screw me up --I'm having a hell of a time finding the dvd's of fsx.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks...

You first issue in creating scenery for FSX:SE is the SDK. This is a developers kit that contains the different tools needed to create scenery and in particular some compilers. If you do have FSX somewhere then you may have the SDK. Otherwise there is on provided free by Lockheed Martin for Prepar3D v1.4. This is the same as the FSX one and can be downloaded from the Prepar3D web site.

Making your own buildings involves a 3D design tool such as Sketchup. Of you plans above which comes first?

I think you can install the FSX SDK without FSX. It is a long time since I did it but I seem to recall that the SDK installer is separate from the FSX installer. If you install and update to the SDK then that does check to see if an acceptable version of the SDK is already installed but I don't think it checks whether FSX is. At the very worst I suspect you could install the lot and then removed FSX. However the option of using the P3D v1.4 SDK is still there and that does not check for the presence of the sim itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived