FSX Future

klfarley

I've been flying FSX since it came out. And I know some new flight sims are supposed to be coming out. So do we keep spending money on addons for FSX or step back and see what if anything is coming out? If there is really something on the horizon coming out, I may hold off. But I cannot find anything about Dovetail Games new sim.

What are your thoughts?

Ken

Personally, I will not purchase another flight sim unless it's 64-bit. Nor will I spend any more money on any of my 32-bit sims: P3Dv2.5, P3Dv3.4, FSX.

Dovetail will have something eventually or "someone else" will go the 64-bit route.

But like Larry said, it IS an individual choice.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I agree that the next civilian simulator is better be really, and I mean really an upgrade to

make me put FSX aside. Even P3D didn't convince me. It's almost the same sim.

But I also have to admit that we just begin to have the hardware to run FSX at his best.

... after hours of glitch, tweaks and tuning, of course, to make it run on DX10.

I, once a while, buy an add-on plane or scenery to keep a "renewed" feeling.

Last expense was Nantucket, a couple of weeks ago. An "excuse" to buzz the East Coast...

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

FSX and FSX SE are alive and well. The constant release of new third-party aircraft, sceneries, and utilities is proof of that. That other simulator based on ESP, from a well-known aerospace company, remains a niche product intended for a specific, limited audience, and hasn't become the instant FSX replacement its users have claimed it to be. X-Plane, always interesting and, recently, with some long overdue improvements, but it's nowhere near FSX's popularity. I see no reason to "hold off" when there's fun to be had with a great flight simulator available now and with the biggest, best freeware and payware support in the world.

That other simulator based on ESP, from a well-known aerospace company, remains a niche product intended for a specific, limited audience, and hasn't become the instant FSX replacement its users have claimed it to be.

That other simulator is Prepar3d, by Lockheed-Martin, and I've never heard it claimed as an "instant FSX replacement." However, it IS similar to FSX in a lot of way but with many major improvements, both features and performance.

That popularity thing has been rehashed many, many times on these forums, so I won't go there, but P3D is a sim that's available, so should be mentioned here too, though I will grant that it's not new, in that it's now on version 3.4. But then X-Plane isn't new, either.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Some random comments from the little bit of research I have done-

I couldn't get the X-Plane demo to work with my Dell Alienware/Win10 and they say the demo will work just like the program.

P3D seems pricey.

FSX is the only simulator which covers the entire world and I like being able to go anywhere and be able to study accurate landforms. You can learn a lot about geology with FSX.

Either P3D or X-Plane, one, can handle helicopter operations realistically, which might be the only reason I would think of investing in either.

After listening to me pitch fits over FSX all the time my buddy looked up flight simulators and suggested getting a new one. We found a site selling the freeware FlightGear as if it is a new simulator for around $80. It had me fooled for awhile until I looked at the Sim review mentioned in another post here:

http://pcsimulators.org/index.php/flightsimulators/flight-simulators-compared

How do you combat this sort of thing? I just hope people do enough research before they buy anything. Caveat emptor.

I'm considering Steam since my Alienware is a Steam computer, but there's so much to do with I have already I'm not in a hurry. It's not the number of tools you have, but the way you use the few tools you do have.

Happy simming,

pcwildman

“What does this do?”

Archived