Heli falls through "hardened" pad

hjwalter

Hi there, all you technical experts,

When opening a pre setup heli flight from a hardend pad e.g. on top of a scenery building, the heli imediately falls through the building onto the ground (or mesh) inside it. The same on e.g. oil rigs. Only after resetting the same flight does the heli appear and stay on it's pad, ready for flight.

Not really a serious problem but maybe one or more of you experts out there has a (simple) solution or explanation.

Best regards.

Hans

There are similar problems with aircraft carrier scenerys. Last time I checked, its an "exe" issue (its just how FS works).

One thing you could try is disabling then re-enabling your rooftop pad in the "world>scenery" window before you load the flight. Just un-tick then re-tick the scenery folder for your BGL.

I had what a similar sounding problem on a carrier that I had moved, and it was fixed with a flatten file. What I *think* happened is that without the flatten file, the carrier deck altitude of 72 feet above sea level in the carrier model file was not the same as the hardened deck altitude of 72 feet above sea level in the AFCAD file which was not the same as the Tomcat's altitude of 72 feet above sea level.

That is only my theory, but the more important thing is that this problem was fixed by adding a flatten file.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Ever try pressing the 'B' key? It resets the altimeter. When online if you (or the other guy) is shown floating, pressing the 'B' key puts everybody down on the ground. Don't know if it will fix the problem with helio and hardened surfaces, but it can't hurt to try.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

JGF,

As a result of your comment I tried landing a heli on Governor's island myself and indeed, it was like landing on water, as you say.

I'm using Aerosoft's very well made Manhattan scenery but the developers evidently did not pay too much attention to this (non real eye candy) island, other than deleting the (landable) default one, positioning it's satellite picture version in it's place and lastly, by adding some autogen buildings/trees. Quite obviously a scenery detail only meant for flying over whithout looking at it too closely, let alone landing on it.

I havn't tried it yet but I assume that a simple flatten at zero feet, should solve your problem.

If you are having "fall-through" problems during heli landings on scenery items, there are some very simple solutions, the most well known of which is the one posted some years ago by the late and still sorely missed Opa Marshall.

Good luck.

Hans

Add FLOATS to the helio and it can land on that 'marshy' island. That is what I would do. Not hard. Post cnt pts from helio and 5 min later I can post the FLOATS that will work. You might sink 0.200 ft (2.4 inches) but what the heck, at least you won't sink. Reason for '0.2' is that you can't place gear and float points at same location (causes sparks on hard surface). Use my head (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived