Overclocking the i7-4770

I just wanted to see what difference overclocking would make using the i7-4770k processor and an Asus Maximus Hero VI. Read everything I could find and watched several videos and was successful only up to 4.2Ghz at 1.25V. after that just the blue screen scenario. So my question is why do I read others with the same build do better? It really doesn't seem that difficult. The computer will run FSX fine as well as the load test or crash. I am using a three monitor set up with an EVGA GeForce GTX770 4GB card and the G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 Memory.Don't get me wrong even 4.2Ghz makes a difference and is running just as cool a temp as the default bios just can't seem to take it any higher. Something I should upgrade maybe like the memory or the three monitors come in to play.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Some individual CPUs simply overclock better, and it is the luck of the draw as to what you get. Then there is the cooling aspect. The highest overclocks are usually done with high end air coolers or custom water coolers. While the Corsair H55 is a decent cooler, but isn't going to knock any socks off. There are high end air coolers that will do a better job. In some cases people have de-lidded their CPU and replaced the factory thermal paste and reattached the heat spreader, although this is certainly getting into the very dedicated end of the overclocking realm.

I read that luck of the draw as well. I also suspected my cooling system was a little light.. Knowing now over the learning experience I would certainly upgrade my build a little. One thing I have found since I did overclock and get a solid 4.2Ghz very few changes in the BIOS I see a noticeable difference in my FSX. Smoother, 3-5 fps better in the hot spots like JFK, lax ect. Temps only a couple degrees hotter and so far no freeze ups though that remains to be seen. Testing 24 hours now sliders maxed (even water) so the 20% increase I read I achieved seems worth the effort. On the subject of coolers I would like to upgrade mine a little, any recommendations?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

How many fans do you have on your current cooler? Some of those Corsair models can take two fans, which improves performance a bit.

Here's one review of some high end coolers. It may be over year old, but coolers don't usually change quite as fast as GPU or CPUs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9415/top-tier-cpu-air-coolers-9way-roundup-review

Three maybe four I forgot would need to look but only the one liquid cooled

Mike G.

I have been looking at the H80i Corsair, read it was pretty good.

Mike G.

The H80i is a better cooler than the H55, but don't get too focused on the all-in-one liquid coolers. Some of the air coolers are better, and cost the same. If you really want to overclock with an all-in-one I would be looking at the larger dual radiator models like the Corsair H-100i or H-110i.

I use the Corsair H60. Had it for 5 years now and it works great!! I Over Clock my i7-3930K from 3.2Ghz to 4.2Ghz and never run over 45 Celsius. I use the ASUS Suite to do my over clocking which is a simple tool that comes with the ASUS driver cd for your mother board. I don't mess with anything but Processor Speed. I leave the boot strapper where it is and do not touch voltages.

Remember, when buying liquid cooled make sure you have room for the radiator.

I use the Corsair H60. Had it for 5 years now and it works great!! I Over Clock my i7-3930K from 3.2Ghz to 4.2Ghz and never run over 45 Celsius. I use the ASUS Suite to do my over clocking which is a simple tool that comes with the ASUS driver cd for your mother board. I don't mess with anything but Processor Speed. I leave the boot strapper where it is and do not touch voltages.

Remember, when buying liquid cooled make sure you have room for the radiator.

I tried the Asus Suite for a while but read it tended to cause trouble with FSX not that it did but when I stopped running it I seemed to have fewer freezes. Of course it's really a hard thing to do placing blame on one thing or another.

Mike G.

A better cooler won't solve crashes from an OC. But it will allow you to control temps at higher voltage settings which may solve the crashes. Here is a very comprehensive Haswell OC guide, just in case you've yet to see this: http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

Good Luck with your OC; as mentioned the bottom line with an OC is your luck with the silicon lottery.

Rod O.

MSFS or BUST!: i7 10700k @ 4.9Ghz, 2x16GB DDR4 @ 4000 cas 16, evga RTX 3080 ti FTW III

Thanks! I read that guide you mentioned as well. Until I upgrade I am happy with 4.2Ghz as well as the learning experience.

Mike G.

Archived