How to deal with runway elevation?

Raging Beard

Learning to sim in a 747 and just learned (the hard way) the meaning of "Rwy Elev: 51 hPa" at Zurich. Having adjusted Baro to 961 I got a perfect ILS landing.

My question is, what about other airports where I don't have same info? For example, landiong on RWY 30 at Long Beach (KLGB) the approach plate says TDZE 38 and Apt Elev 60. I know some other say THRE.

I kinda get what the difference is between TDZE an THRE, that's mainly what comes up when I search.

So my question is, using Long Beach as an example, should I be turning that Baro dial at all like I need to for Zurich?

If I don't see "Rwy Elev xx hPa" what do I need to be looking for? Is there a certain elevation that the autopilot deals with with worrying about it?

Many thanks!

You should always set the baro to the current correct reading. That can usually be obtained from ATIS at the airport. What a correct baro setting does it it corrects the altitude reading on your instruments. If the baro si set too high or too low, the altitude readings in your aircraft will be wrong. If you just are really not sure about the correct reading, press the B key on your keyboard. That will update the baro reading automatically.

Thanks for the reply, but I am actually using Aerofly FS 2, purely because I play in VR and it vastly outperforms the others using Flyinside.

As such I have nobody in game to tell me what the correct seting is (it will be added one day) so all I have to go on really is approach plates and my eyes.

Let me suggest that you read the Real Aviation Tutorials & FAQ section below under Speeds and Altitudes, which will explain a lot about what effects temperature, barometric pressure and altitudes have on aircraft and their instruments.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived