I wish I could learn this

MikeN87

I am a real world pilot, but I just can't get it with these sims

I see (or maybe should say, I hear) others fly these sims like they would fly a plane in the real world, but I just can't get there.

Up till now this is just a frustrating computer experience for me. I wish I could bring my iMac someplace and have an expert teach me how to do it. Is there a school for this someplace? I would be happy to pay to be taught how to use these sims to experience "near" world fly.

Is these any way to learn this using screen sharing? I'm ready to give up, ...again

thanks

Mike

I think you're expecting a lot out of a laptop, Mike, unless you have some peripherals. There are some fairly inexpensive yokes, rudders, throttles, etc. that will add a lot to the experience for you.

Also be aware, not all sim aircraft are created equal. The flight physics vs. rw vary a great deal...generally add-ons are better. I use the Carenado T210 with Reality Enhancement Pack (X-Plane add-ons) to practice instrument scans and approach procedures (using the included 430's), but there are others which may be more suited to what you fly rw.

Jim

PS- A location might be good if you'e asking for physical help :-)

Z170a, RM850, NH-D155, i7-6700K, GTX970, 32G GSkill DDR4, dual SSD850's, Ubuntu 16.4, Win7-64, XPX, XPXI Beta, P3Dv3.

It's not clear to me what you are asking.

What don't you get? how to install/run it?

Or is the issue you don't find it realistic enough? If so, what kind of realistic? does it not look realistic or does it not fly realistic enough?

Depending on how it's setup the windows running on your mac may not adress the hardware directly, but through the mac os instead. That's an issue with some controllers, and also with use of videocards by software.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to sim, then I flew for real (Tiger Moth and Cessna 172) and now I sim again. I actually love simming more than the real thing. I can fly any plane I want, anywhere I want, any time I want for a fraction of the cost. No driving to and from the airport in heavy traffic, no waiting for the refueling truck, no filling out of forms, and no waiting for my turn to take-off.

I find flight sims very realistic, in fact when I still learnt for my PPL, I used to practice the circuits or cross country flights on FS2004 and it helped me immensely. I guess it depends on what your expectations are, what computer hardware and peripherals you use (joystick is essential), and most importantly how imaginative you are in order to "trick" your mind into believing that what you're seeing is close enough to the real thing.

I just got myself an Oculus Rift (and FlyInside software) and OH MY WORD!!, this is the future. The resolution isn't the greatest yet, but the sense of space, distance, movement and being inside an aircraft is unreal. I actually find myself leaning in the chair when doing rapid maneuvers like rolls.

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

MikeN87,

Look locally for a Mac store, there are people there that can step you through many things on learning how to navigate around your system. Then decide what peripherals you need, rudder pedals, yoke or stick, and a throttle. Many inexpensive options. I use an IMac, but it will never be powerful enough to run X-Plane. I have a dedicated Win 7 box for that. Then if you need some screen sharing (now it's getting tough) seek help from other Mac users. Search for X-Plane forums. Don't quit, it will be worth it.

I just got myself an Oculus Rift (and FlyInside software) and OH MY WORD!!, this is the future. The resolution isn't the greatest yet, but the sense of space, distance, movement and being inside an aircraft is unreal. I actually find myself leaning in the chair when doing rapid maneuvers like rolls.

That would be something I would love to get. Too bad, for me, you need two working Mk.1's for it to do all that good stuff.

Don't believe me? Try closing one eye and see, no pun intended, how it looks now. No different from a regular screen display, I'll wager. Designed so that the slight difference in the two visual inputs to your brain give the impression of depth and movement. One visual input? Well...

I'm not saying it's not great for those it works for. Heck, I would love it. If I could use it.

Ahhh, well.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 4 weeks later...
To rooitou, I think you hit on just what I'm looking for. Viewing tools or adds. Is Oculus Rift something like TrackIR? If it is, I'm interested. To me, what makes simming so unrealistic is the viewing. I hate it! I thought TrackIR would be the solution but TrackIR manufacturers tell me it doesn't work with Mac. Yet, in the setup, I see a box to enable the TrackIR. I don't get why X-Plane would put that on the Mac version if it doesn't work on Macs. But if this Oculus Rift, or FlyInside software is for viewing, please tell me more. Again, I'm using a 27in iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB MHz DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GTX 780M 4096 MB.

I just tried to download FlyIside, and when I try to open it, I get a message saying that safari can't open this file. Should I put a gun to my head now, or what. This is exactly what i mean when I say I wish I could learn this. Everytime I try to do something it doesn't work. it IS easier to go to the airport and fly for real

Archived