FSX Mesh Products, Looking For Advice

rgoff03mi

ORBX doesn't offer a mesh product. They have however recommended the Pilot's FS Global 2010 ORBX FTX Compatible (R3) which is what I got. Supposedly it's what the developers use when making their scenery.

Don't know if they have collectively moved on to a later mesh product though.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Regarding FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation

Saw this in features...

COMPATIBLE WITH

.) FTX products

At the moment we are not aware of any incompatibilities at all.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Does FS Global Ultimate have a lot of problems with pits and plateaus then? I would assume no. Back when I did fs9, I remember having some mesh product that was terrible with that and it killed the sim experience for me.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I use FreeMeshX and honestly? It's as good as you are gonna get! Despite being the only FREE option, the 10m lod mesh it places over the Flight Simulator world is spectacular and does the job well!

I'd go for that and see how you feel. Being free, it's no loss if you don't like it and choose to go for a payware option. :)

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

Here's a typical issue I run into remembering ALL 24,000+ FSX airports are FLAT.

For comparison, real pictures of KLAS McCarran International Airport - Las Vegas, NV

East side looking west...

McCarrenEastSide.jpg

West side looking east...

McCarrenWestside.jpg

FSX with FS Global 2010 R3 and ORBX Global Base and Vector

With Vector Airport Elevation Correction (AEC)...

KLAS (with AEC)-Eastend - RESIZED.jpg

KLAS (with AEC)-Westend - RESIZED.jpg

With Vector NO AEC...

KLAS (with NO AEC) 01 - RESIZED.jpg

KLAS (with NO AEC) 02 - RESIZED.jpg

Looks like all AEC does is average the elevation so one side is buried and the other side now only has a cliff 1/2 as high. This seems to only be a problem for airports on sloped terrain, like KLAS.

With a flattening fix I found...

KLAS (with flattening fix NO AEC) - RESIZED.jpg

I just ordered Pilot's AFM - Aerodrome Flattening Meshes on DVD. Hopefully will fix alot of this.

Next Generation comes with AFM2

I use FreeMeshX and honestly? It's as good as you are gonna get! Despite being the only FREE option, the 10m lod mesh it places over the Flight Simulator world is spectacular and does the job well!

I'd go for that and see how you feel. Being free, it's no loss if you don't like it and choose to go for a payware option. :)

I totally agree that FreemeshX is as good or better than anything out there. For me it is a prime example of the fact that the "freeware = junk" mantra that some people believe, is just wrong.

Archived