Looking to Replace Computer - Thoughts

jprism

I am looking to replace my current FSX Steam Flight Simulator computer...simply not enough horse power! I mostly fly Carenado Props & Business Jets but would like to also later buy the Eaglesoft CJ1. My current addons are Megascenery Tennessee but looking to add more scenery and textures.

The computer I am looking at is the Dell Alienware Aurora as follows...

• 7th Gen Intel i5-7700 (4 Cores, 6MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Up To 3.5GHZ)
  • 8GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 460 Watt Power Supply
  • AMD Radeon RX460 with 4GB GDDR5

Cost $850...hate to spend the money only to find out things still don't work!

All comments appreciated

That sounds like an expensive, under-powered Thunderbolt Grease-slapper. I would stick with a NVidia graphics card and a processor that doesn't need turbo boost just to get it to 3.5GHZ. You will probably need a beefier power supply.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

As specified, the processor is kinda slow for this day and age. Go for a K-series i7 processor with a base clock rate of 3.something, the K-series can be overclocked.

I completely agree with Mr. Zippy as to the graphics card and power supply. Regarding the RAM you're on the right track with DDR4, but if your budget allows stick some more in there.

Jorgen

Look at my specs. Give you an idea of cost. It was $1200 three years ago. I would get a i7 7600K now. Plus MB, Ram, GPU and PSU upgrades, of course. Cost? About the same. The trick is to buy the parts and put it together yourself. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do that.

There are a 1,000 places on the net with advice. Some good. Some bad. Some just commercial. Want to read 1,000 posts? Or look at rigs you can build in one place? That place is MaximumPC Magazine. They build, and test, and list cost of parts. You pick your price range and the 'KickAss' PC is there for you (and me). Parts are matched. No guessing. They even advice on chip set drivers, GPU drivers, etc. Can't beat it.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I agree with Chuck. First off, when you buy a box you end up with what they choose, not you. Second, you typically pay much more than the box is worth and often it's for parts that are of no value to a FS fan. Third, most boxes come with a lot of parts you can't buy replacements for, so you're stuck!

If you build it, you'll not only save a ton of money and only buy what you need. You also will know it & be able to change and hopefully improve it as time goes on. ;)

Yes, your first build can be scary! But watch the build hints, concentrate on doing one piece at a time, & you should do just fine. You'll even save enough money to afford that 4Ghz. Intel CPU you really should be installing! Don't even consider a brand of CPU other than Intel for FS. I learned that the hard way myself!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

If you're building this box for FSX the ONLY thing that counts in the CPU is single-thread performance. See this for comparisons: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html . I wouldn't buy anything that's not in the top three.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived