"All you do is sit on that computer...blah...blah...blah"

Skywatcher12

I don't get that one any more, since I started giving a list of alternatives:

Watch football all the time so you can't watch all the soaps/romcoms/reality show crap etc. like you do now...

Play golf and be at the course/clubhouse/driving range all the time...

Go down the pub with my mates and chat up the barmaids...

Go down the betting shop...

Feel free to add any other stereotypical male pastime which gets you out of the house for hours on end and costs a fortune. Mention the cost of any season tickets, subscriptions, sports kit, tools or equipment etc. compared to the pittance you've spent on Flight Sim. If she says "You're not interested in any of that anyway", tell her she's right and point out how lucky she is. For me, this resulted in a "Huh!" and the door slamming, but it wasn't mentioned again for quite a while and isn't mentioned at all now - YMMV!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Oh, the great life of us single guys!;) What could be better?? Oh, wait....I get paid for NOT working! I think I'll have another beer.:cool:

Good Responses:

1. Honey, why don't you go visit your mother?

2. Honey, there's a new cute waitress at the local bar, coffee shop, etc. Aren't you glad I'm here?

3. Honey, I think the dog needs walking!

4. When asked, you say yes, dear, your fanny does look pretty big in those pants!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I simply say, "Woman be quiet and go get me another beer"......
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

"Honey, why don't we get another computer so you can come flying with me? It'd be a lot of fun!"

"Honey, I've decided you're right. I'm going to start flying RC models! You can be my "mechanic" ."

"I saw that there's a sale at (fill in name of major store in your area)"

"I've decided to start learning to parachute! Come with me to jump out of planes!"

"You're right, dear. Let's go climb Everest together!"

Notice most of them involve getting HER outside, and dirty, and exhausted, WITH you. Generally puts an end to the nagging...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Do what I did and turn it into a dorkified educational experience. LOL!

What I did is every single place I landed at I would read about at Wikipedia and then use Google Street view to check out the city. I did this a lot when I finally took the long hours it takes to fly across the Atlantic (as I never speed up or pause the sim) and visit Europe. I read about the airports and towns in Denmark, Portugal, London, Ireland, Scotland, you name it.

So when you get that all too familiar call, "you're on the computer too much!" Just say, "I'm trying to learn here!" LOL

Going to the bars (and getting drunk and in a fight), or playing golf, etc, is what YOUNG MEN do. Flight Simming is what OLD BOYS do. I resemble that remark! So sue me (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

As soon as she walks in: 1 response: " Did you come in here to tell me about an immediate life treatening problem, or are you here to ask me where I am and how it's going?"

2 response: "Put on a stewardess uniform and bring me some coffee."

lr.

lou"wakemeatthemarker"ross

Well, I guess I'm lucky! Even before I started building the sim, I let my wife know about my obsession whan I was a boy, how my uncles used to tale me spotting to airports and airshows. It was a big thing for me when I was a kid ... so she's been really supportive, I do try and fly in the mornings at the weekends when my wife is sleeping or doing chores, then I try and spend the rest of the evening with her. I get home from work before her, so I tend to fly then as well. But, like I said, she'd let me fly all night!

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

"All you do is sit on that computer...blah...blah...blah"

For over ten years I was heavily into flight sims and making flight sim videos. The amount of time I spent was staggering when I look back on it now.

I was semi aware at the time that my hobby was eating big chucks out of my social life but I let it slip year after year, promising to cut back 'soon'.

It wasnt until my best friend (lady friend) became disabled and confined to a wheelchair due to a brain haemorrhage that it hit me. She soon had to move far away to the other side of the country due to her illness. What I wouldn't give now to turn the clock back and have even half the time back again that I spent flight simming. To spend even a few months with her again...walking together..on the beach..and enjoying life again.

I did enjoy my flight simming and video making period. But I now feel that I squandered all those months and years watching pixels on a screen create the illusion of movement and flight. Meanwhile real life, and love, and enjoyment were all around me and there for the taking, if only I could have broken free from my addiction and seized the day.

If only!

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone.”

― Joni Mitchell

“Lost time is never found again.”

~ Benjamin Franklin

“It is named the "Web" for good reason.”

― David Foster Wallace

ambrose bierce.jpg

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived