I have a meteorology question

This may be a strange place to post this, but I can't seem to find the answer Googling it, and the internet weather provider "Intellicast" does not have a glossary of terms, nor a forum with which to ask questions. Having been a member of this forum for quite awhile, and knowing that real pilots deal with meteorology on a regular basis, I thought the "Real World Aviation" section would be as good a place as any, to ask this, and hope to get an answer.

Intellicast has an overlay for their national map of the United States titled "11-Degree Temperature Plot". What exactly does that mean?

I thought it was a single line (iso-therm) that marked all the places in the U.S. that were exactly 11°F or C (I couldn't hazard a guess as to which). But I see that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

In the picture I snapped on screen, the overlay appeared to have created numbered surface temperature ranges-- with quite a variation-- in different locations around the country. Some in Texas today in the 90°s F, other places-- in the mountains around Wyoming, and areas in the Northeast near the Canadian border-- below 32°F.

Clearly none of these extremes (especially the high ones, colored red & orange in Texas); are anywhere near 11°F or 11°C, so the term "11° Temperature Plot" must mean something else. If someone could explain that, I sure would appreciate it. A screenshot image of the website map is below. Thanks.

BTW, I can't believe it got that hot in Southern Texas today!

-- John

What's an 11-degree temperature plot - Copy.png

You know what? Disregard. I think I figured out what that is. I think those are icon symbols to notate what each layer is for. The "11°" is just an arbitrary number they picked, simply as an icon next to the check-box, to indicate that the program will place surface temperatures on the map. It has nothing to do specifically with the number eleven... other than they could have picked any number (with a degree sign after it), to indicate a temperature layer with numbers on it.

Now that I see that's all it is... I feel kind of foolish. I thought there was something significant about an 11° temperature plot in meteorology. I now see it's probably no more significant than an icon of a shining headlight, printed on one's headlight switch on their car.

Again, sorry to waste people's time.

Actually, that 's just Temperature Plot. The 11º part is just a symbol, like the sun above it for Current Conditions and the broken house below it for Earthquakes.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Intellicast has good weather information, it's true, but I seem to get more info and what I need to do a short-term to mid-term forecast (which were part of my job at the Aerostat site) from a site called Aviation Digital Data Service, or ADDS. It's a NWS sub-site. I use it to this day, even though I am somewhat forceably retired due to medical reasons.

Just my 2 copper pieces worth...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived