Something resetting Garmin 530 and autopilot during flight

Qballbandit

Good morning,

I am having an issue where within 15 minutes of flight in my Carenado C210, the Garmin 530 and Autopilot are tripped, where the Garmin sits on the boot-up screen, and the autopilot zero's my altitude setting. I use the Garmin and autopilot in other planes, and it happens on them as well.

After this occurs, I have to turn the 530 off, then on, and thankfully it still has my flight plan loaded, and current.

With the autopilot, it is rather wonky....I have to fiddle around for awhile with it before it restores it's logic and let's me reset the altitude.

Since this will happen on any plane, I view it as a global problem (in the gs9.cfg file?), not isolated to the C210, unless my thinking is incorrect?

This problem began recently, so not sure if anything in my fs9.cfg file (which has been edited many times over the last several months) is causing it. Had the C210 for a year, and it and the other planes using the 530 and autopilot were all running error free until recently.

I attached an example picture just after the occurrence, as well as my fs9.cfg file.

reset.jpg

fs9.txt

Any suggestions warmly welcomed :)

Thanks very much,

Neil :cool:

Hi Neil, it's unlikely to be your FS9.cfg settings because it sounds like some other add-on or utility is over-riding your AP and GPS gauges. For example, if you have a flight planner/tracker or some kind of co-pilot program running, check that the options don't automatically set your autopilot commands.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

None of the above. The only thing I have set up as a window is a TCAS screen.

Interesting thing is - once I get them reset, they will be good for the rest of the flight, no matter the length. At least this is what I think; need to do more flying to be certain.

Thanks for your reply, tiger, I do appreciate it :)

None of the above. The only thing I have set up as a window is a TCAS screen.

That could be it. Apparently this plane has a history with TCAS gauges, see post #3 in this thread from 2003:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/27490-warning-carenado-c210-and-fs2004/

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Good news Neil, still it's a shame having to remove the TCAS - maybe someone on the Carenado forums knows of a TCAS gauge that doesn't interfere with the C210 GPS/Autopilot?

Another flight proved successful.

Not having the TCAS window is not a show stopper for me, I don't really miss it. It was more of a novelty for me having it added in. Not sure if I have the energy to pursue their forum since it isn't that big a deal.

I appreciate your assist on this one :) Kind of sucked when the issue happened in thick soup, and in busy airspace!

• 1 month later...

Hey tiger,

I'm resurrecting this thread, as I'm sorry to say, the problem was never corrected.

Busy times kept me from checking it further, but have had time of late to take some longer flights and the issue still exists.

I have no other add-on flight-planner or autopilot running in the background.

The straight Carenado C210 loses both the Garmin 530, and autopilot, as I explain (and as shown in my picture above) within 5-10 minutes of flight.

I can reset the 530, and it holds it's programmed input. The AP takes some fiddling around with to finally get my altitude to reappear and display correctly.

I bump this thread with hopes that someone reads it, understands it, has either like history with the problem, or further suggestions.

Thanks very much to all,

My first thought is the old windows standby - reinstall the aircraft, it's possible a .gau or .dll has been overwritten or corrupted. Also, as we tend to overlook the obvious, do you have breakdowns enabled? (I cursed for a month trying to decipher why my radios quit working.)

Hi Neil,

I don't have the Carenado C210 so I'm just going through all possibilities here, could it be that the battery is running low after 5-10 minutes of flight and something you're doing to reset the GPS and AP is switching the magnetos or generators on somehow?

No matter what ac I fly I always add this line to the (electrical) section in ac cfg just to be sure I don't loose power: electric_always_available=1 . Some developer never pay enough attention to cfg, let alone 'electrical' section. Carenado might. But might not. But that was my 1st impression: Lost Power.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

To answer tiger's question: when I mess with the Garmin and AP, I am clicking on-screen, not using key strokes, so don't think that would be the issue.

Chuck,

The value was "0" by default, so I changed it to 1. I am not sold that this is the issue, because wouldn't my transponder lose power as well? It is more of an interrupt than a loss of power, as I would think the GPS would power off, not just reset to the boot up screen...though can't rule it out, I guess.

The nagging element is, I ran the plane (and other planes with the GPS/AP from the C210 installed) for almost a year without this happening. It just started happening one day, and I can't find the variable that was introduced to cause it.

Thanks guys! :)

Archived