Need some assistance...

KCD

I have FSX SE, but have not used it much. I find it cumbersome compared to FS9. Is there a way to avoid signing in to Steam each time you use FSX SE? The less I have to do with that bunch, the better! I'll never go on line with FSX, so all I want to do is figure a way to avoid any and all contact with Steam and still enjoy FSX. Any ideas?

Open Steam. In the top left you will see steam. Click on for the drop down menu. Click "Go offline". To verify, when you open FSX the multiplayer choice should be blank.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Go to either FSX boxed or P3D.................
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

...........so all I want to do is figure a way to avoid any and all contact with Steam and still enjoy FSX..........

Unfortunately, you cannot have a Steam game and completely avoid 'contact' with Steam. WRT a Steam based product - there are two elements - the Steam client (required by all) and the product. The Steam client cannot be totally disabled and will automatically download client updates. You can, however, setup most games (i.e. products) that have a single player mode to start in off-line mode automatically. However, this will mean that any updates for the game will not be downloaded, nor will any 'achievement based awards' and 'stats' be updated.

Do as stated by Egsjr1956 at post #2 - but use this procedure:

1. Start Steam online - IMPORTANT make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked.

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - Launch the game you would like to play offline using the PLAY button located on the game info page - this will verify that there are no further updates to download. Leave the Steam main page open in the background. Once the game has loaded exit the game and return to the Steam page.

3. Go to Steam > Settings and uncheck the Don't save account credentials on this computer option.

4. Go to the Steam > Go Offline

5. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode.

The steam client should now start automatically in offline mode every time you run FSX-SE, using the desktop shortcut for the sim. Note, however, that some games get a popup window offering the choice to start the game in online or offline mode - this is set by the game developers themselves and not Steam. As I don't own the steam version of FSX I don't know if this will be the case.

Whilst not essential for running the sim I would suggest that you connect to Steam on a regular basis - say once a month - as this will then allow the sim to be updated with any updates/patches that may have been released and will allow achievement type awards to be updated and 'awarded' - in FSX these are such things as Missions awards, Lesson certificates and general flying awards such as the certificates 'gained' from 'flying' 9such as number of lanidngs, number of airports visited, number of hours flown etc).

Regards

Brian

I find it cumbersome compared to FS9. Is there a way to avoid signing in to Steam each time you use FSX SE?

I don't understand why you need to sign into steam every time you use FSX. If you open steam and in your library you should have FSX. If you right click on this you will get a list of options one being to "create desktop shortcut". This shortcut should allow you to open FSX without signing in. It should open the same as the boxed edition.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Note, however, that some games get a popup window offering the choice to start the game in online or offline mode - this is set by the game developers themselves and not Steam.

I do own FSX:SE. That window doesn't open at all that I've ever seen.

I, personally, went straight to my FSX folder, in the Steam directory structure, and made a shortcut to FSX.exe on the desktop. Then set it to Run As Admin, so I don't have to do that every time either. I'm lazy :D

I just doubleclick on my shortcut, and away I go. No messing with Steam logins, no rclicking to make it Run As Admin, none of that stuff.

I did NOT install to any C:\ folder either, whether \Program Files or \Program Files(X86). Did it make a difference? I don't know, but after reading the forums for a while, it seemed prudent.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived