Help requested from a partially sighted fool

footoomsh

Hi fellow flyers. After my gaming laptop had begun to die and can barely run anything on it, i decided to dash out and buy a new laptop - a lovely new beasty. One small problem, an oversight on my part meant i bought a laptop without any DVD device.

That said, I had ripped my FSX disks with Alcohol120 and trying to install Alcohol12o under windows 10 causes it to have a BSOD so I cannot use the files that I created to reinstall FSX. My old laptop is just alive enough for me to use Alcohol120 to mount the ripped DVDs and i copied the contents to my portable drive.

Even then though, once i start to install them eventually a message comes saying that there is a file that setup cannot access. It is there, the file is on the drive, but i cannot get past this and setup fails.

I game very rarely but use FSX so that i can glide. It is the one game of the all the others that i rarely use that i would use the most to catch a thermal or some ridge lift.

I need some help here so have one or two questions that i hope that one of you can answer for me.

1. Is there other software other than alcoho120l that can open MDF files and mount them like a virtual DVD.

2. Has anybody else copied the contents of the DVDs to the hard drive and successfully installed FSX this way.

I hope you can help me. I'm partially sighted and have already had a brief look through the forums here but cannot find anything relating in similarity to my problem.

kind regards

Kenny

Thank you so much, that makes it all so easy. It's installed - haven't run it yet. I'm travelling the world right now, so gaming is usually out of the window, but to fly my glider now and again is essential therapy for me ha ha ha ha, or a 747, a fighter jet is fun.

I'm not sure where you live, but if i'm travelling near you i owe you a few beers, or dinner

Kenny

Hi again,

After installing FSX GOLD edition I immediately hit a problem and hope that you guys can point me to relevant threads to help me out as, once again, being partially sighted it's a nightmare going through forums.

AFter installing FSX when a run a flight i looks like this. FSX-screen-problem.jpg

i can maximise the window with the windows border and it solves the problem, but when i go full screen this is what i get.

When i installed the Xpack disk i was not asked to the serial number at all, but after this when I run FSX this is what i get.

FSX-activation-error.jpg

When first installed FSX seemed to activate correctly.

Again, being partially sighted it pains me to scroll through and read threads so if anybody can point me to the specific threads that may help then I'd be very grateful.

Thenks Kenny

Here is the spec for my machine

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language

Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name LAPTOP-ALN0VVME

System Manufacturer HP

System Model OMEN by HP Laptop

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU X0G98PA#AKL

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.26, 28/12/2016

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Embedded Controller Version 82.31

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer HP

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume7

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"

User Name LAPTOP-ALN0VVME\OMEN

Time Zone SE Asia Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 11.2 GB

Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory 13.8 GB

Page File Space 2.88 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Graphics adapter is an NIVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960M

..I game very rarely but use FSX so that i can glide. It is the one game of the all the others that i rarely use that i would use the most to catch a thermal or some ridge lift...

I'm travelling the world right now, so gaming is usually out of the window, but to fly my glider now and again is essential therapy for me ha ha ha ha

For a quick glider fix anytime like in a remote hotel room, you could buy 'Vehicle Simulator' by Ilan Papini which has planes, gliders, cars, ships, sailboats, submarines, space shuttle etc in it, and it can be played on low-end computers or laptops..:)

I've got it and although the graphics are not as hot as FSX, it's got a great "fun" feel about it, I especially like the way you can click the option to have small red arrows floating in the airstream to show wind direction, great for gliding and ridge soaring..:)

Other sims have a similar name as Vehicle Simulator, but the one you want is by Ilan Papini.

http://www.hangsim.com/vsf/

There are a number of vids of VS, here's one with the red arrows I mentioned-

Archived