Can't Afford TrackIR? Much Cheaper Alternative

spirittoo

There is an excellent tracking software for XP that is a much cheaper alternative to TrackIR.

It's called TrackerXP. It's only $20 bucks. I had to pay $95 for TrackIR 4 and that was the cheapest I could find it.

TrackerXP doesn't work the same as TrackIR. You use a web cam and have to move your face with your eyes always aimed at the cam.

While TrackIR has 6 moves Tracker does not, but it will do a good job allowing you to look around without having to use the joystick.

Bob Feaver the creator gives outstanding tech support. He will work with you until the program is working the way you want it to.

So for those XP users that can't afford TrackIR this is definitely the software for you. :cool:

XP10/FSXSE_MSI B350_AMD Ryzen7 1700_16Gb DDR4 2133_Win7 64_GTX 550 1GB GPU

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

Nice find! :)

I've been fairly happy with my EDTracker. It's a gyroscope tracker, so you don't need to setup IR LED bars and such, and unlike the webcam head/face trackers - you can use EDTracker in the dark.

http://www.edtracker.org.uk/

You can make one yourself for cheap, or buy the "Pro" version (pre-assembled) for ~$40

http://www.edtracker.co.uk/

http://www.edtracker.co.uk/shop/products

There's a few downsides - mainly there is a USB cable that must be plugged in, and sometimes this can be annoying (if it catches on your chair arm for example, and yanks your in-game view to one side or something). Although, they are working on a wireless version for sometime this year.

Search for freetrack

It's free, use a webcam (that you cover with a 35mm negative), and a LED that you fix on a hat. I used this system a few months and finally did buy TrackIR 5 to get the 6 DOF capability.

It worth a try...

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

I made my own cap with 3 LEDs. It was easy and I had no previous experience. The Freetrack site helped me. Only cost a few ££$$. I use Facetracknoir software (free) in Pointracker mode.

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

I've been using this instead of Trackir for nearly three years now. After you've adjusted the software it works perfectly.

I tried freetrack but I simply could not get the software to work for me. I tried to get help on the forum, but was never able to resolve the problem.

It's nice if you can get it to work. With TrackerXP it didn't take nearly as much time to figure out how the software is used and how to make adjustment. I was able to get it working in a short period of time and Bob is really good about working with you. I didn't get that kind of tech support from the freetrack website, but since it is free, I suppose I wouldn't.

I had the same experience with FaceTrackNoir ... I could not get it to work for me and the tech support wasn't helpful.

If you can get freetrack or FaceTrack to work for you it is definitely a good alternative.

@Daniel ... I was stretching my budget for the TrackIR 4 ... the 5 was beyond my budget, but I did some research and found their isn't too much difference in the two. It is nice, but I am having some issues with it, that I have contacted their tech support.

XP10/FSXSE_MSI B350_AMD Ryzen7 1700_16Gb DDR4 2133_Win7 64_GTX 550 1GB GPU

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

Archived