Where to start

ar_0

Hey guys...

I'd like to design some addons to put out there as freeware. The problem is, I searched the web (including forums such as fsdeveloper.com) but I couldn't find anything that would point me to where I should start.

My main focus is gauges and panels, not planes or scenery, since there are many of those out there. Can someone please help?

You were already at the best place there is out there. Did you try asking this same question at FSDeveloper? Seriously, if that site was no help at all I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps if we had a better idea of what you are wanting to make you might get some advice.

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

All of my projects begin with a single polygon. I build up from there... :)

Seriously, fsdeveloper.com is the place to be, and studying the SDK is mandatory. I also recommend Milton's illustrated tutorial.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Hi ar,

I was just looking around and came across your post. I recalled seeing Milton Shupe's tutorial about aircraft creation but have never really checked it out.

The site is here:

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/C162/index.htm

It's for FS9 but likely applies to FSX as well. I checked some of the needed downloads and found the links for the FS9 SDK were dead but recalled finding and downloading the tools previously.

As kind of an experiment I uploaded the tools to the cloud. This is the link that was provided:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq0q3QmYi411gcYoOcSgFU25IB0RzQ

I didn't check much further or if this will be of any help to you but good luck.

Jim F.

• 3 weeks later...

Milton Shupe just made 11 YouTube videos (so far) for beginers using Gmax. The videos are 'private' so I can't give you the links, but that, and more (LOTS MORE) is over at SOH dot com (Sim Out House). Google 'SOH' and you will find it. The go forum and then Aircarft Design and Annimation. He updated all his links to required programs, etc. And besides the current videos he has also posted tips, etc going back to 2008. Like I said LOTS - enough to choke a horse!! Give yourself a week or two to absorb it all. Maybe more? Six months? Perhaps even a YEAR! (as in MY case - hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived