Getting into FSX again

Mlegge

Been a while since I religiously was on FSX. Now thinking of booting the old girl up again.

My favourite part of the whole experience was downloading the scenery and flying from my home hub BHX to familiar airports around Europe.

Even though I've not been on FSX I've still purchased PC pilot from time to time to see what's going on.

My question is:

What's the best computer to get? Want decent frame rates and want to be able to setup a 3 monitor setup. I have 3 older 40 inch Sony LCD TVs that I'm thinking I could potentially use.

Should I buy the steam edition or FSX again?

Last question. Why on earth is Flight taking so long to come online? I thought this was supposed to be replacing FSX.

Thanks for reading its good to be back.😀

Welcome back!!!

If I was to buy FSX today, I would probably go with Steam. As I understand it, Steam is FSX/Acceleration with a few further fixes, that's why.

As for the hardware, get an Intel i7/6700K processor (the K series can be overclocked), and a good nVidia graphics card - but no need to go totally overboard here with the Titan. DDR4 RAM for the motherboard, and put the whole thing on SSDs.

Do I hear the budget moaning?

Just my bent nickel's worth...

Jorgen

Mlegge we are glad you are gong to fly again, welcome back! I have both a boxed FSX and steam. I mostly fly using the box set still. I have AS16 & ASCA for my weather and Traffic X for AI traffic. Most of my aircraft and either the default or freeware. I run a HP laptop i3 @1900mhz and onboard intel graphics for 2gigs my FPS are always around 30-50 and it flys well for me. If a budget is an issue the main thing you will need for the 3 monitors will be in the video card. As to the rest FSX runs on processor speed and for addons you will want a large HD. Hope this helps, and again welcome back.

Happy:pilot:Flyin... AD

Welcome back!!!

If I was to buy FSX today, I would probably go with Steam. As I understand it, Steam is FSX/Acceleration with a few further fixes, that's why.

As for the hardware, get an Intel i7/6700K processor (the K series can be overclocked), and a good nVidia graphics card - but no need to go totally overboard here with the Titan. DDR4 RAM for the motherboard, and put the whole thing on SSDs.

Do I hear the budget moaning?

Just my bent nickel's worth...

Jorgen

I would second that wholeheartedly as the best advice that I would give to the op assuming that the budget allows your Jorgy.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Yup, As far as Flight! goes..

On February 6, 2012 it announced that Microsoft Flight would be free to download on February 29, 2012.

On July 25, 2012, Microsoft announced it had cancelled further development of Microsoft Flight. So they could not even give it away!.

So the sim story is as follows..

Microsoft gave Dovetail the distributorship of FSX. This they do with minor modifications to run on modern PC's & it's called FSX:SE.. Development is frozen.

Microsoft sold the ESP (professional/commercial version of FSX) to Lockheed Martin who sell it as a 'non entertainment sim' It has been upgraded & updated about 10 times as compared to FSX/FSX:SE

Dovetail released their 'Flight School'that is based on FSX, but allows no additional add-on's & is said to be a teaser for their forthcoming simulator, which we have no idea at all about, except that it will be 64bit. (it is also cliamed that there could be incompatibilities with current add-ons.

So, people are playing the waiting game, & debating the rumours abounding.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I actually did an article about the Downfall of ACES Team and the P3D/Dovetail split. It's a good read if you are interested. (It also has a little input from a guy that actually worked on the game! ;) )

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?16938-FSX-10th-Anniversary-A-Decade-of-Fun!

Robin however did sum it up nicely.

----------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel for more Simulator and Gaming content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/drawyahgames?sub_confirmation=1

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

Archived