Utility to give you charts for the approaches that are built into FSX GPS units?

dnpaul

The other day, in a thread about the FSX GPS and using it for approaches, a poster referred to a possible utility that will let you see/use charts for the built-in approaches that are in the FSX GPS.

Is that really a thing? Where can I get that?

Sorry, I think that's my fault, I thought that's what SimCharts did, but upon further checking it appears not. I also thought Navigraph and/or Aivlasoft EFB did something like that but it cannot confirm (looks like they use RW charts).

The Plan-G flight planner will depict approaches using the FSX data. Airport Design Editor can decode and display the procedures as well. Neither of those can generate proper charts though.

Sorry, I think that's my fault, I thought that's what SimCharts did, but upon further checking it appears not. I also thought Navigraph and/or Aivlasoft EFB did something like that but it cannot confirm (looks like they use RW charts).

The Plan-G flight planner will depict approaches using the FSX data. Airport Design Editor can decode and display the procedures as well. Neither of those can generate proper charts though.

No problem. I also found one called "apchart" that purported to have this ability, but it won't install on my setup.

I thought about seeing what ADE could do.

It would be pretty cool to have FSX charts for the c. 2005 approaches. I enjoy using the RNAV procedures that are part of the GPS, and can usually find a RW chart with the same transitions, but not always.

I use the Flight1 GTN750. It has all the approach plates, SIDS, and STARS. I keep the GTN in pop up and look at it for the plates. Kinda like having a tablet in a RW aircraft.

Does it have the plates for the instrument approaches that are intrinsic to the FSX GPS? Or just current charts using latest Navigraph/Navpro?

Confused...if you keep your database updated with Navigraph, and you display the chart on, say, an iPad, while you're flying the approach, is that not what you're looking to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USAF E-3 Crew Chief 1981-2001

FS2004 Century of Flight, FSX, flying since version 1.0!

A&P Mechanic...still getting my hands dirty on E-3's!...

Confused...if you keep your database updated with Navigraph, and you display the chart on, say, an iPad, while you're flying the approach, is that not what you're looking to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm talking about when flying with the built-in FSX ATC. When you get around 60-70 miles from the airfield, it will assign you an approach, often an ILS. You have the option to accept that approach, or ask for something different from a list. For many airports, there are a few RNAV(GPS) approaches to choose from.

If you want to choose one of those RNAV approaches, especially one where you fly a designated transition instead of ATC Vectors, you can often find its counterpart in the real world, but sometimes things have changed since 2005, and some of those are not in use anymore.

That's why it would be cool to have charts for the built-in approaches that are in the FSX default GPS unit.

So what you are talking about is exactly what I do, if a chart for the current real-world RNAV approach is the same as the approach in the GPS unit, I do download the chart to my tablet and use it to figure out the approach and which transition to use.

Archived