Is FSUIPC the answer

Habu1967

Old simmer here (72). I have been a casual simmer for many, many years, but now that I am retired I am getting more serious. I am using a Thrustmaster HOTAS controller. No matter how I set the sensitivity and null zones within FSX I just cannot seem to get things right. Sensitivity is way too high, making holding altitude and heading a real battle. I hate to spend the $ but I am asking you experts if FSUIPC is the answer. I am sure there will be a bunch of different opinions, but your honest evaluations will be my guide.

Thanks,

Les (Habu)

OK, just an opinion from another 72-er. I've kept my MS Sidewinder at max sensitivity and min null zone for a decade or more (and smiled when others in my group 'discovered' this great configuration - I guess I should have said something earlier; I thought everybody knew this!)

BUT if you are having to fight to maintain controls I'd recommend adjusting trim first - the plane should almost fly itself if it's trimmed well. If that's not enough, then consider REDUCING the effectiveness of problem controls in the aircraft.cfg:

[flight_tuning]

cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0

parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0

induced_drag_scalar = 1.0

elevator_effectiveness = 1.0

aileron_effectiveness = 1.0

rudder_effectiveness = 1.0

pitch_stability = 1.0

roll_stability = 1.0

yaw_stability = 1.0

elevator_trim_effectiveness = 0.4

aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

p_factor_on_yaw = 0.5

torque_on_roll = 0.5

I find that I want to reduce the Elevator TRIM effectiveness on most aircraft as they often go from a climb to a descent in a single adjustment step. I typically adjust from 1.0 down to about 0.3 - 0.5 which gets me really close to holding altitude with trim alone. I also fly with fingertips - rarely a full grip.

Hope this gives you something to try..

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

FSUIPC does, in fact, allow you to adjust all kinds of things, including responsiveness, but I don't know whether it will solve your problem, since I can't evaluate that from here. As Loyd indicates, trim can help -- basically add pressure to the stick, then trim until you're holding little or no pressure on the control -- as can learning to be more gentle with the controls (if you're not already that way).

But, all that being said, many flight models in FS leave a lot to be desired, too, so depending on what you're flying, that might also be part of the problem. A lot of those flight models are very difficult to maintain altitude without using the autopilot, sometimes because of trim adjustment range, sometimes just a twitchy response to pitch control, and other things.

Back to FSUIPC, though, if nothing else works you can give it a shot. It does have a broad range of adjustments for controls, as well as some other useful capabilities, including aircraft-specific adjustments and assignable functions that FS doesn't allow access to by itself.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Les, I agree with Lloyd's comments. Until the Aircraft.cfg file is adjusted on certain planes you won't be happy with any hardware, with or without FSUIPC. I will say FSUIPC can give you another dimension in axis hardware settings. For example, I use a non-linear sensitivity with my throttle and it has made a world of improvement. Basically I set for increased resolution around the approach thrust region. It gives much more control on approach and landing.

Try the free version first and see.

The free version has no joystick calibration features.

The paid version has two joystick calibration features over and above what FSX provides. First, you can apply a curve to flatten or steepen the response around the centre point. You can't control the shape of the curve, only its steepness. And second, you can set an asymmetric null zone for each axis independently. Both of these things can be done for each axis independently.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I did set the sensitivity to Max and the Nulls to Min and can't believe how much better the control is. Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective. Thanks Loyd.

Les

Hey Les,

I'm glad all these folks could help you! I just now even saw the link.

However this link is just another example of one of the first things we were taught in the Marine Corps. Keep It Simple Stupid. Or KISS!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for the responses. I did set the sensitivity to Max and the Nulls to Min and can't believe how much better the control is.

The problem is, the 'sensitivity' slider doesn't actually control sensitivity. It controls how much delay there is between you moving the controls and the aircraft responding. This is probably to simulate the effect of damping in the controls.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

For many years, and many versions of FS, this recommendation has frequently been recommended and used successfully for many including myself. In the fs9.cfg find the CONTROLS section. Add this line right below the bracketed CONTROL line:

STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0

Make sure you type it exactly as I have it. It seems to tame down the overall sensitivity and works quite well. Of course you may need to readjust your sensitivity settings to your liking. Its easy to do, give it a try. If you don't like it you can easily remove it.

STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0

...It seems to tame down the overall sensitivity and works quite well

What it actually does is two things: (a) removes any delay in the controls (so the movement is now just like it was before when sensitivity=max), and (b) clips the overall movement of the control axis according to where the sensitivity slider is set.

All this is demonstrated in my Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke Review video. (If you just want to see that bit, it's between 6:27 and 12:20 in the video.)

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Archived